Beach sand

FishForums.net Pet of the Month
🐶 POTM Poll is Open! 🦎 Click here to Vote! 🐰

Richmond J.

Reaction score
Hi Everyone,
Just a thought,I was wondering if its possible to use sand taken from a beach as substrate in a freshwater aquarium, Obviously it would need to be thoroughly washed, I,m just abit unsure as to the salt content and the effect it would have on the set up.

I would not do it. I don't think beach sand can be cleaned well enough to extract all harmful chemicals etc., aquarium sand is so cheap in UK that I would not even consider going through the hassle of cleaning the beach sand. Just a quick google search told me that it can take weeks to clean beach sand to make it usable in a fish tank, and the pollution residue can still be harmful. In my opinion it is not worth it, but I also don't know how expensive actual sand is where you live :)

Also important: it is actually illegal in a lot of places to take the sand from the beaches :)

Yeah, I probably will go for pool filter sand ,though its not really a question of cost,its just that I,m searching for a nice white coloured sand.

Yeah, I probably will go for pool filter sand ,though its not really a question of cost,its just that I,m searching for a nice white coloured sand.

"White" is not advisable in a freshwater aquarium because the light reflection disturbs many (if not all) fish, being unnatural. A beige/tan is as "light" as you want to have. As for the type, it depends upon the intended fish; some like cories need the softest sand, and pool filter is not that. But I've no idea what is available in your area (Philippines).

Hi, yes a beige colored sand would be suitable, its for a 10 gallon betta tank set up which I,m considering, Thanks for your advice.

You can use beach sand in a freshwater aquarium if you keep fish (Rift Lake cichlids, rainbowfish, livebearers) that like water that has a pH above 7.0, and if the sand comes from a clean beach, and if you get it from a place that is not designated a national or marine park.

The salt on the sand can be easily washed off with tap water.

The main drawback is the glare from the light reflecting off the white beach sand. If you have floating plants, they will reduce this issue.

You can use beach sand in a freshwater aquarium if you keep fish (Rift Lake cichlids, rainbowfish, livebearers) that like water that has a pH above 7.0, and if the sand comes from a clean beach, and if you get it from a place that is not designated a national or marine park.

The main drawback is the glare from the light reflecting off the white beach sand. If you have floating plants, they will reduce this issue.
I like to add that it depends on what origin the sand has. Shell-origin means calcium = higher Ph. For instance a Vulcanic rock origin = inert

OK, thanks for the advice.

One of the best ways to filter out nitrates, ammonia, and small bits of debris out of the water in your aquarium is by using a fluidized bed filter. If you plan on using this kind of filter, then it is best to get the best pool filter sand for aquariums.

Pool filter sand is perfectly fine and I have no issues getting it in the desired color. You don't want white.

Play sand is a perfectly fine option as well.

With other inexpensive options, I think beach sand should be crossed out as an option. There's too much risk and work that'll go into it and only to save a few bucks. A 50 pound bag of play sand is like 4 dollars.

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Back