BBA Help!

April FOTM Photo Contest Starts Now!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to enter! 🏆

Newtofish!

Reaction score
So my tank set up has been going well. It's a 180l Jewel corner tank. I've pulled out most of the standard filter components and put in loads of biomass with some sponges. I've started a fish free cycle and it's almost ready (if it's down to 0% ammonia tonight) for fish. The tank currently only has black sand, some rocks and a very big lump of bogwood in it. Annoyingly however my bogwood has started growing BBA. The lights are very rarely on in the tank at the moment (1 LED bulb which is only on when I'm doing stuff with the tank) The bogwood was thoroughly soaked before adding to the tank, and since the BBA appeared I have taken it out and washed it with hydrogen peroxide twice. This hasn't worked so I'm guessing there's something that needs sorting with the tank. As the lights are hardly on and there's no fish to cause loads of bio waste I'm guessing the cause is something else. Does anyone have any suggestions, I've got a load of amazon swords growing in my quarantine tank and I don't want to add them or any fish until I get the BBA sorted. Thanks in advance.

If you try the tank without the bogwood does the algae still grow? I heard that bogwood that is not sufficiently aged will leach nitrates as it decomposes, not sure if this is a true issue though. In the absence of other nutrient sources that is all I can think of.

If wood leaches anything as it breaks down, it will be ammonia not nitrate. However, the filter bacteria will turn ammonia into nitrite and then nitrate. So the end result is the same.

Most reactions

trending

Members online

Back