Battery Operated Gravel Vacs, Reliable?

FishForums.net Pet of the Month
🐶 POTM Poll is Open! 🦎 Click here to Vote! 🐰

lilhurleybunny

Fish Crazy
Reaction score
Swimmin around in the Chesapeake Bay ;) in Marylan
Hello!

While vacuuming last week, I noticed that my air pump powered vac (The Extendable Air Vacuum in Doctors Foster and Smith catalouge) wasn't exatly picking up all the junk that is left in my gravel. However, I do keep in mind that I don't spend 5 minutes on each spot like I should, due to something that is commonly called "impatience" (I call it "healthy urge to do other things" myself but I'm no expert) B) . If anyone has this vac, do you have the same problem?

Anyway, I've kinda wanted a new vac and I'm looking at battery operated ones at the moment. Has anyone had any luck with these? I'm most likely going to order one from Doctors Foster and Smith since they're reliable, but I wouldn't mind getting some input from you guys! :thumbs:

I'm thinking of getting the "Mr. Cleaner" or even the "Sludge Extractor" :S .

Thanks guys!

i used a few of these and gave up....i now use a mains powerd device that clamps on the tank side, it gravel cleans and passes the water through the box on the side of the tank that contains whatever filter you like (i use wool...it comes with a fine mesh net but the wool is better).......this has plenty of power and because you arent draining the tank you can do it as often as you like - i do 5 mins every other day .....easy job.

T

I use a syphon to do water changes and clean up at the same time. I also use a battery powered gravel vac when needed and I find it very good. The only drawback is having to buy new little bags quite often. I was advised on here that cut up tights (pantyhose) are a cheaper way of doing it so I do that now. :) (Secure with an elastic band)

after doing alot of water changes in the months i decided to go and buy a vac so earlier on today i bought a vac for 5pound and got home and used it it works great and makes my tank so clean i was going to buy a battery opperated one but it looked to complicated lol. :p
im nice simple and practical you see.

I used a battery powered vac for a while but got fed up with its fairly weak suction. I bought a Magnum hot which has a gravel attachment and am much more satisfied. I couldn't recommend a battery powered gravel vac (Mine's a Hagen)

Did you buy one of those self-start vacs guppy_man?

My air-pump vac doesnt seem to have much suction and thats why I'm seeing if the battery operated ones are more powerful. The problem with mine is that I see all this stuff floating around but only a little in the little bag attached :/ . I'll look into it to see if they're Hagen.

Thanks!

My gravel vac has very good suction, in fact I lose a tiny amount of gravel each time I use it! Have just been to look at the make but it does not say on it and I threw the cardboard away a while ago. It was a German sounding name I think. I just bought it from an ordinary lfs. :)

Most reactions

Back