Bathroom Water

FishForums.net Pet of the Month
🐶 POTM Poll is Open! 🦎 Click here to Vote! 🐰
abstract said:
it all comes from the same pipes ..you all are crazy
[snapback]850556[/snapback]​

Not the case.

It only takes seconds to run stagnant water from pipework, and so long as it has not been standing for years it will not have been contaminated.

As I said above, once you have run the tap for a while it is the source of the water, and not the delivery, that counts.

kevin007 said:
..is there a problem is i fill the water using my garden hose... :/
[snapback]850821[/snapback]​

Kevin, it might be worth checking (easy to do) but invariably garden taps are mains fed - so ok :)

Fiori - exactly! The storage tank is mains fed, but not airtight - open to all sorts of contaminents. Combis are all mains fed - as are "system boilers" (These have expansion vessels and hot water storage cylinders, but no cold water storage tank)
Conventional heating and water systems consist of a hot water copper cylinder (stored hot water open to copper contamination), a cold water expansion tank (mains fed, but standing water) a cold water storage tank (mains fed, but open to contamination) and a boiler.

A combi system has no storage whatsoever, other than whatever capacity is kept at heated temperature within a storage combi (not all combis store - only the top end) and what lays in the pipework briefly until run off.

NB, hot water from a system boiler system is still stored and open to copper contamination unless a stainless steel pressurised container - such as a Megaflow - is used.

Yeah that sounds about right Cathy when you think about it :cool:

Im happy no more lugging buckets up the stairs for me :flex:

CathyG is right about pipes though- I have lead pipes leading to my house from the mains (I told you it was an old house) and I have to run my cold water tap for a few minutes every day to make sure I don't drink the water that's been lying in the pipes all night. The water source itself is good though.

I filled both my tanks with a hose from the garden i bought it specially and it wouldn't fit on any taps in the house. Good to know i can used bathroom water as i will soon be setting up 2 upstairs tanks. We have a combi boiler so it should be fine.

If you have a combi boiler or a "system boiler" system (ie no cold water storage) all your cold water taps will be mains fed. The only issue is with hot water, in a combi system you should run it off for a while (it is heated on demand) in a system boiler system it is advised you do not use the hot water to fill your tanks (it is stored)

In a conventional system, ie with a cold water and hot water storage facility, stick with your kitchen tap to fill tanks.

Re testing for mains (ie garden taps, but this works for all household taps)

If you can place your hand over the tap and fully stop the flow, the chances are the tap is not mains fed (have your water pressure tested by a plumber to be sure)

If you place your hand over the tap and it pees out in all directions, this is mains pressure - your hand will not stem the flow.

abstract said:
my bathroom water is colder....mmm..ice water
[snapback]850871[/snapback]​

*smiles* fine, but cold doesn't necessarily mean clean :) Not that it isn't, but I was speaking from an English persons point of view regarding common water supplies over here.

If you filling from a hose run it for a well something to do with parasites and thing in the hose pipe.

CathyG said:
abstract said:
my bathroom water is colder....mmm..ice water
[snapback]850871[/snapback]​

*smiles* fine, but cold doesn't necessarily mean clean :) Not that it isn't, but I was speaking from an English persons point of view regarding common water supplies over here.
[snapback]850883[/snapback]​

i know i wasn't having a go at you just tryin to have some fun...i live in an apartment complex so i find it hard to believe that water would be standing in pipes or tanks for very long ...although i'm sure it happens :)

To all of you who think water from the bathroom tastes worse than the kitchen.........STOP drinking from the toilet!! :p

steve

We have mad water pressure it sprays all over the place. We had a brilliant water feature in the hall when we first moved in as the pipe on the landing had a slow drip and then just burst the day after we moved in and we just couldn't stop it. Its a good job we were re decorating anyway. If i use upstairs water i'll take the kettle up and warm the water how i usually do.
Emma

We fitted a combi boiler last year and ripped out all the old water sotrage tanks. The state of the tank which fed the bathroom taps was just foul, it must have been about 40 years old and never ever cleaned out. To think I used to clean my teeth / drink that water... :sick:

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Back