Basics

FishForums.net Pet of the Month
🐶 POTM Poll is Open! 🦎 Click here to Vote! 🐰

tanker

Fish Fanatic
Reaction score
Hello, I've been running a 24.5 gal tank for 1 week now. I was told to put in 2 neon tetras to get tank cycle going. Aqua cycle stuff has been added for the chlorine, other liquid for the bacterial growth etc. Thing is, my fish are both hanging around the top of the water, same spot, all day, looking like they're gulping fo air. The water is also misty, with a broken film on top. By the way, the water temp is 25, and I have a filter, plastic plants, gravel, rocks etc. It all came in a kit. Is this normal? Should I add more fish yet, or wait?

Well, for one thing, neons are not good for cycling. They do not take it very well. I'm not sure what the film on the top is, but I had it in my tank for a while and it went away.

Really appreciate someone helping! What should i use for this purpose? Should i get an algae eater? I would love some angel fish and a red tailed shark eventually, but i dont want to rush things.

Thanks again.

first of all you need to test your water to see what point you are at in cycling. cycling should be monitored by water tests.

second, is this tank being filtered? have never had a film form on the tank unless the water was not moving. do you have an aerator going?

would do a small water change of about 5-10% and see how the water does.

also need to test your water and post the results.

semper fi

Try putting two or three zebra or striped dianos. They will make much better cycleing fish. As for the neons, you could try to exchange them for the dianos or something like that. I too don't know of any cause for the film on the top. However, I would assume that surface tention could cause it. You shouldn't worry about it too much, and the cloudiness should go away soon if it is dissolved oxygen, or white little bubbles. If it is green, it is algea, and is difficult to get rid of. However, the reduction of nitrItes and nitrAtes through a water change will alleviate this. Oh, and it is also a sign that you are cycleing properly, and you shouldn't worry about it either.

Basically, you're doing good. You just chose a poor fish for cycleing. Get some dianos and you will do much better, and your fish will be more likely to survive.

Thanks again,

i'll get a test done and let you know. The filter is running ok, the 'film' looks like it would be solid if it wernt for the moving water.

By the way, this forum is great - i'm really learning here!

Any fishes aren't good for cycling. They will suffer high ammonia/nitrite level. Yes, good bacteria will increase but only little, that much than there is food for those bacteria. Without food bacteria die. If there is one fish, there is only few bacteria, if there is 20 fishes there is alot of bacteria.

And when you think that tank is already "ready" for putting more fish, it is wrong. Why? When you add more fishes, ammonia/nitrite levels increase again, why? Because there wasn't enough good bacteria to change increasing "waste" to harmless compounds. And when you add more fishes the first fishes will again suffer higher ammonia/nitrite levels.

Best way is to cycle tank before putting any fish into it. There is alot of information on internet how to do cycling with ammonia or ammoniasalt (NH3, NH4Cl...). It takes only 3-6 weeks to cycle and after that you can put all fishes at the same time into the tank.

It's also important to put all fishes into the tank at the same time, because then they all will find their own territories. If you put fishes into tank in diffrenet moments, they have to find their territories and some fights will occur if there isn't enough room.

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Back