Basic recommendations.

FishForums.net Pet of the Month
🐶 POTM Poll is Open! 🦎 Click here to Vote! 🐰

Faith_16

Reaction score
Hi, all.
What are some basic recommendations of things to own to ensure healthy fish?
Plants, type of substrate, water testing supplies, ect.

The type of substrate to use completely depends on the kinds of fish you're planning on getting. If you're looking to get kuhli loaches, shrimp, snails, e.c.t. (mostly burrowing fish) it'd be best to use sand as a substrate.
Sand has its benefits as well as drawbacks though, and it might be best to do some research on this before you decide on the best type of substrate to use for your tank. Here's a good site that you might want to look at for the pros and cons of different substrates.

For testing nitrite, ammonia and pH levels I use a bog-standard AquaCare testing kit. It's pretty easy to find all types of testing kits online and in your LFS. Your best bet is to just browse for a while and compare.
If your water is heavily chlorinated, Tapsafe is a must and has been a great help to me since the South UK water is... Very nasty.
I'd also invest in a biological enhancer like this one by Fluval. This helps the tank cope with irregularities and/or changes in water.

Clean water. I can’t stress this enough. Usually people just think “oh, I have a filter, the water is fine” and neglect to perform weekly water changes. If you don’t perform weekly water changes, it can lead to multiple, life threatening illnesses for your fish.

@PlasticGalaxy compiled a nice list. :good:

Clean water. I can’t stress this enough. Usually people just think “oh, I have a filter, the water is fine” and neglect to perform weekly water changes. If you don’t perform weekly water changes, it can lead to multiple, life threatening illnesses for your fish.

@PlasticGalaxy compiled a nice list. :good:
Yes! I do 25% water changes weekly.

RESEARCH everything about what you want to have. Do this first to avoid the vast majority of issues, and do not take a salespersons advice if it goes against your research.

Research your tank/equipment with your fish in mind. For example, bettas need gentle current, some fish need a long tank and others high, etc.

Try to imitate the natural environment of your preferred fish.

Clean water ! Imperative.

Live plants
Low bioload (My preference).

Ask lots of questions on the forum

I guess this is what to do, not what to have but...I could have used this advice as a beginner ☆

What are some basic recommendations of things to own to ensure healthy fish?
Water conditioner/ dechlorinator to neutralise chlorine/ chloramine in tap water.
Test kits (ammonia, nitrite, nitrate and pH).
A sponge, gravel cleaner and buckets used specifically for the fish.
2 fish nets (1 x 5-6 inch net and 1 x 8-12 inch net).
A good aquarium heater and filter.
Maybe some rock salt.
A digital camera to take pictures and video of the fish.

That's it. :)

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Back