FishForums.net Pet of the Month
🐶 POTM Poll is Open! 🦎 Click here to Vote! 🐰

PheonixKingZ

Fish Guru
Tank of the Month 🏆
Pet of the Month 🎖️
Fish of the Month 🌟
Reaction score
I have noticed recently that a lot of newbie fish keepers are becoming members and asking questions, which is great. But every thread someone asks “What is the hardness of your water? (pH and GH) What are the dimensions? Is the tank cycled?” Etc...

I love helping people, but it seems so repetitive. Could we work on a thread that explains everything in detail? (Put the link for the “cycling your tank” thread, explain why fish need to be in a certain hardness of water, explain why some fish need long tank, high tank, etc.)

Also add a ”template” that they can copy and paste. Sort of like the disease template that we have, but for stocking:

Tank dimensions:
Water hardness (pH and GH):
How long has the tank been setup?:
Is the tank cycled?:
What fish (if any) are in the tank now?:

Etc...

Thoughts?

@Fishmanic @Essjay @Deanasue

I like the idea, if such a thread doesn't already exist...I'm still new here, so haven't explored all of the different forum sections.

Good suggestion this. Should save the mods some time too so that they are able to get around to assisting everyone that requires their help. Would be a good foundation to work off of so that wires aren't crossed and too many chefs aren't in the kitchen. Good idea, mate

Last edited:
I do like adding the Cyling information to all new members in a welcome reply. Not sure how many would really know GH, PH, etc. Most who do will post it.

I'm all about giving newer hobbyists 'a leg up' so they are more successful.
Check this out.....
he just keeps putting his links in :)

--------------------
There used to be a template for diseases.

There are a few sticky links in the emergency section but lots of people don't bother to read them.

And there's the sticky on cycling aquariums.

I'm all about giving newer hobbyists 'a leg up' so they are more successful.
Check this out.....
That is good information, and we can include that, but I would rather it be a thread here on TFF.

Watch this space.......
Will do, with earnest...again, great idea by @PheonixKingZ, IMO, many, many new members here seem to need to know the basics of fishkeeping (cycling, foremost), don't have those skills yet, and come here asking for help when things go bad in a tank that's uncycled/improperly stocked/too small, etc...if we could direct them to a TFF thread that covers all of that, it would make things much easier here, again IMO...they could run down the checklist, see what they do or don't do, and then ask specific questions.

Get the basics out of the way quickly, and then help with specific (beginner) issues, instead of having to copy and paste a bunch of stuff, over and over (hello, @Colin_T )....though there's nothing wrong with that ;)

Most reactions

trending

Members online

Back