Barbs and Sharks

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

gto_cowgirl

Fish Fanatic
Reaction score
About a month ago I bought several green tiger barbs (slowly over time) and a red tailed shark. They all seemed fine until about a week ago. Whenever i feed the barbs, i usually give them floating food so the shark can get the sinking food i give him. But whenever the barbs get finished and start to swim downwards the shark tries to chase off the invading barbs so he can eat.

The shark seems to take his time when he eats but then gets aggressive when the barbs are done and chases them off for at least half a hour finally giving up because once he chases one away the rest are invading his little space by the time he gets back.

Is this normal behavior? I read the red tailed sharks and tiger barbs got along. I haven't had any problems because of it but i was wondering if it is stressing out the tiger barbs. They don't seem stressed, very persistent and keep trying.

I wanted to mention that this tank is well planted with hiding places. These tiger barbs are maybe 1 1/2 inches big right now. The red tail shark is about 2 inches long i think maybe smaller.

Heh, I think I'd be more worried about the shark getting stressed. ;)

I think this is normal behaviour. As far as I've heard, tiger barbs will eat as much as they can, sometimes more than they should, so it's no wonder they get interested in what the shark has once they are finished with their own. The shark in turn wants to keep his food for himself so he chases them away.

I understand from your post that the shark keeps on chasing the barbs once he's finished with his food? It could be that he's just very irritated and it takes him a while to calm down.

One thing you could try is to feed the shark with the sinking food once you've turned off the light. Sharks are nocturnal so he shouldn't have any trouble finding the food, especially if you drop it close to his hideout. Tiger barbs are not nocturnal, so chances are they'll let him eat in peace.

Morrgan said:
Heh, I think I'd be more worried about the shark getting stressed. ;)

I think this is normal behaviour. As far as I've heard, tiger barbs will eat as much as they can, sometimes more than they should, so it's no wonder they get interested in what the shark has once they are finished with their own. The shark in turn wants to keep his food for himself so he chases them away.

I understand from your post that the shark keeps on chasing the barbs once he's finished with his food? It could be that he's just very irritated and it takes him a while to calm down.

One thing you could try is to feed the shark with the sinking food once you've turned off the light. Sharks are nocturnal so he shouldn't have any trouble finding the food, especially if you drop it close to his hideout. Tiger barbs are not nocturnal, so chances are they'll let him eat in peace.
Maybe get one more shark to keep the other company....Just a suggestion. lol :D

Thanks for your reply.

The shark can only eat for a min or so until all the tiger barbs are finished with their floating food and then he spends the rest of the time chasing them off and never gets to really finish until he gives up chasing them.

He doesn't chase them forever just for about 30 mins or so and then he will go hide. I will try feeding him at night, i didn't know that. Yeah, the tiger barbs seem a little afraid of the shark but i think once they become a group then i will have to worry for that shark if he trys to pick at the tiger barbs.

Also, I have read in several different places that red tailed sharks cannot co exist with other red tailed sharks. They are fine with other fish just none of their species. So that is why i only have 1 red tailed shark in the tank.

Other than that though, should i not worry about the barbs or the shark? I read these two were compatible. I just know other fish being chased around would be stressed but the barbs seem fine with it.

>>> tailed sharks cannot co exist with other red tailed sharks.

That is generally the case. Not just with other RTBS but also with other similar species like Red-Finned/Rainbow sharks. Things that closely resemble them.

There are people that successfully keep several, but there are a lot more that have permenant friction in their tanks.

Sounds to me like your tigers are doing what they would normally try to do, and your shark is reacting in it's normal way. As long as the shark is getting enought to eat, I wouldn't worry about it.

I have barbs and a shark and this is a normal daily occurance in my tank. They will be fine. Don't woory about it. They will all get enough to eat.
Deb

Nice choice of fish, Barbs and Shark. :cool: At the moment your fish are probably like mine, still quite young. I'm hoping that the shark will stand up for itself when it gets bigger. Tigers only grow to approx 60mm or so and the RTBS will grow a lot bigger than that.

I'd only start to worry when scales start dropping off or the fins become ragged. until then i'm assuming its normal.

Nice avatar picture Cow Girl. Is it a Penguin?

Alright, i was just making sure. I can't see any damage to any of the fish, i just noticed that chasing and like i said i know some fish can't handle being chased like that. Thanks for all your replys, I feel much better now.

I am use to having the nickname cowgirl after i played a western game so i just been using it ever since. Yeah, its a penquin. My boyfriend loves penquins and i thought of him when i was going through the avatars.

if they're ALL swimmin around..all is good. what do you expect them to do.. wait their turn..lol

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Back