Barb tank?

FishForums.net Pet of the Month
šŸ¶ POTM Poll is Open! šŸ¦Ž Click here to Vote! šŸ°

Gaz111

Reaction score
Had tropical in the past then had marine for 10+ years now back on tropical original plan was some rummynose, bristlenose pair of rams or maybe angels and tetras. But after all all the research and that and maybe from coming to marines I prefer move robust fish.

So Iā€™ve got currently breeding pair of Kribs,8 rummynose, 2 bristlenoses and last week got 6 checkered barbs

Tank is my old marine tank 230l (90x50x53) with 50l+ sump planted

Now for future Iā€™d like to stick to the barb route. Is it better to stick to 1 specific Barb or can I mix it up more like tiger barbs, ruby barbs things like that? Read more is better to split bickering but is that for 1 type?

Side note wouldnā€™t mind a true upside down cat as had one for 8 years last time but donā€™t see them round these days where have they gone?

All shoaling fish species, which includes all the barbs, will be less stressed, less aggressive, and healthier in largish groups. Ten is the minimum you should consider for most species, but some definitely need more, like the Tiger Barb (15+). Keeping fewer of more species is not at all the same thing, and this can actually significantly increase aggression. And poorer health is always the result of groups that are small.

Some barb species will work together, some definitely not. Tank size certainly is a major factor, along with the species themselves. A 230 liter (60 g) tank with a length of 90cm (3 feet) is not large.

Upside down catfish are also shoaling, so a group of 9-10 is minimum. However, some barbs will not work with this quite sedate catfish.

All shoaling fish species, which includes all the barbs, will be less stressed, less aggressive, and healthier in largish groups. Ten is the minimum you should consider for most species, but some definitely need more, like the Tiger Barb (15+). Keeping fewer of more species is not at all the same thing, and this can actually significantly increase aggression. And poorer health is always the result of groups that are small.

Some barb species will work together, some definitely not. Tank size certainly is a major factor, along with the species themselves. A 230 liter (60 g) tank with a length of 90cm (3 feet) is not large.

Upside down catfish are also shoaling, so a group of 9-10 is minimum. However, some barbs will not work with this quite sedate catfish.
Ye Iā€™m happy with 1 type Iā€™ll look at getting more checkers barbs. Ye although tank is a 60g itā€™s only 90 not 120 as itā€™s deeper (better for marine) so in hindsight Iā€™d of left out the rummynose as i can see how much they like to swim up and down but not around the tank they seem to swim straight turn round go back

9-10 min for upside cats used to be 4-5 back when I had them. Might be why no one sells them round here anymore

Last edited:
I keep Upside-Down Catfish (Synodontis nigriventris). They live a long-life if provided with proper conditions. Lots of plants, plenty of wood for them to hide and excellent water parameters. They are catfish who tend to forage at dusk and dawn.

I keep Upside-Down Catfish (Synodontis nigriventris). They live a long-life if provided with proper conditions. Lots of plants, plenty of wood for them to hide and excellent water parameters. They are catfish who tend to forage at dusk and dawn.
Ye loved mine, one would leave cover and the other 2 would shortly follow. One lasted around 8 years so suppose its like all things before the internet kicked off. Books seem to downplay size of tank and numbers

Yes, we learn as we continue. There have been scientific studies over the past decade or two on shoaling species of freshwater fish that have provided evidence that the difference between five and ten is, to the fish, considerable. Fish in groups of five showed much more aggressive behaviour, and very importantly had a latency to feed. To the fish, numbers of their own certainly matters.

I've had up to 12 tiger barbs and it did not go well. There was 1 fish that claimed the whole tank as his and the rest hid in the plants. I got "rid of" that one. But even with the meanie gone, they were hiding any more but they seemed to always pick on 1 or 2 at the bottom of the pecking order. The ones at the bottom would get so stressed that they stopped eating and died. I am down to 8 of them now (5 are originals out of the 12). I finally decided not to get any more and added some serpae tetras instead of replacing tiger barbs.

Funny thing happened. 8 tiger barbs and 5 serpae tetras. They school together and there is almost no aggression at all now. The serpaes seemed to have calmed the tigers down somehow.

I've had up to 12 tiger barbs and it did not go well. There was 1 fish that claimed the whole tank as his and the rest hid in the plants. I got "rid of" that one. But even with the meanie gone, they were hiding any more but they seemed to always pick on 1 or 2 at the bottom of the pecking order. The ones at the bottom would get so stressed that they stopped eating and died. I am down to 8 of them now (5 are originals out of the 12). I finally decided not to get any more and added some serpae tetras instead of replacing tiger barbs.

Funny thing happened. 8 tiger barbs and 5 serpae tetras. They school together and there is almost no aggression at all now. The serpaes seemed to have calmed the tigers down somehow.
No idea why then? The 6 barbs did follow the rummynoses but over past 2 weeks of settling they do more of their own thing I also like how they keep the Kirbs busy

No idea why then? The 6 barbs did follow the rummynoses but over past 2 weeks of settling they do more of their own thing I also like how they keep the Kirbs busy
No idea why. All I know is, it is all well now. Everyone is healthy and active only a brief chase every now and then that appears to be more related to mating behavior as it is usually a male chasing a female but no nipping and no bullying.

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Back