Banjo catfish?

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
šŸ† Click to vote! šŸ†

The ammonia would be from the dirt.

In a sense, yes. The issue with dirt is primarily the organics. As they decompose, which they do very rapidly, CO2 and ammonia is produced. The ammonia is so great the plants cannot handle it, and it will kill the fish. This is why many "dirt" substrate experts recommend a dry start and no fish for up to six months. By that time, the dirt has already lost over half its value. So most of us ask, why bother?

You mentioned in another post the amazing plant growth from dirted tanks. This is a bit misleading. The one and only benefit to soil/dirt is the initial level of CO2 occurring from the decomposition. In new tanks, CO2 is usually limited, and as the organics accumulate over the first few months in the substrate, the decomposition increases and CO2 becomes more prevalent. Even the soil substrate experts like Diana Walstad will admit than after one year, all else being equal, a tank with dirt and a tank with inert sand will both be equal in their plant growth capability.

So, putting all the above together, if you use soil/dirt you have no fish for six months, you cannot have digging fish like many catfish, and by the time the tank is established...the same tank with sand would have been running for six-plus months and continue running with the same plant growth.

It's your tank to do with as you like, but we are simply pointing out that there really is no "benefit" with soil when you consider the negatives, and in the end nothing is any better anyway.

In a sense, yes. The issue with dirt is primarily the organics. As they decompose, which they do very rapidly, CO2 and ammonia is produced. The ammonia is so great the plants cannot handle it, and it will kill the fish. This is why many "dirt" substrate experts recommend a dry start and no fish for up to six months. By that time, the dirt has already lost over half its value. So most of us ask, why bother?

You mentioned in another post the amazing plant growth from dirted tanks. This is a bit misleading. The one and only benefit to soil/dirt is the initial level of CO2 occurring from the decomposition. In new tanks, CO2 is usually limited, and as the organics accumulate over the first few months in the substrate, the decomposition increases and CO2 becomes more prevalent. Even the soil substrate experts like Diana Walstad will admit than after one year, all else being equal, a tank with dirt and a tank with inert sand will both be equal in their plant growth capability.

So, putting all the above together, if you use soil/dirt you have no fish for six months, you cannot have digging fish like many catfish, and by the time the tank is established...the same tank with sand would have been running for six-plus months and continue running with the same plant growth.

It's your tank to do with as you like, but we are simply pointing out that there really is no "benefit" with soil when you consider the negatives, and in the end nothing is any better anyway.
Ok. Iā€™ve done my research and many people do this. Many people even add fish instantly. I would have to test and do wc every day and I will. So catfish or no? There would be like a. 1.5 inch cap over the dirt

Ok. Itā€™s funny how my plants grown better with aquasoil than inert substrate. I donā€™t know the exact thing but dustins fish tanks is a plant guy and he always says that plants get like 400% more nutrients from the substrate than the ferts and light. Can we focus on the banjo cat tho. Would you recommend if the apistogramma arenā€™t in there so it canā€™t eat the eggs? Could it go in a 40 breeder with pictus cat, and South American cichlids and tiger barbs for now? It would be about a 2 inch fish when I buy it

The 40g breeder has other issues and they should be resolved before you consider another fish into the mix. I spotted these previously, but didn't want to introduce another issue into the thread.

As for Dustin I think I have seen some of his videos and had issues, but I cannot remember and it doesn't matter. None of us can ever rely on any video someone posts, and I would certainly never make decisions based on such videos, unless I personally knew the level of knowledge/education of the individual. More than half the stuff on the internet might as well have come from Trump, it is that unreliable and misleading.

The 40g breeder has other issues and they should be resolved before you consider another fish into the mix. I spotted these previously, but didn't want to introduce another issue into the thread.

As for Dustin I think I have seen some of his videos and had issues, but I cannot remember and it doesn't matter. None of us can ever rely on any video someone posts, and I would certainly never make decisions based on such videos, unless I personally knew the level of knowledge/education of the individual. More than half the stuff on the internet might as well have come from Trump, it is that unreliable and misleading.
Ok. What issues?

Ok. What issues?

The pictus is peaceful but it is predatory and as it matures it will eat small fish. Should be kept in a small group of at least 5; single fish may pine away. Tankmates should not include sedate fish like angels, discus, gourami and even cichlids as these will be pestered by the nocturnal habits of this catfish, nor nippy fish like barbs. Medium-sized characins, larger rasbora, rainbowfish are suitable. The cichlids should not be housed with Tiger Barbs.

The pictus is peaceful but it is predatory and as it matures it will eat small fish. Should be kept in a small group of at least 5; single fish may pine away. Tankmates should not include sedate fish like angels, discus, gourami and even cichlids as these will be pestered by the nocturnal habits of this catfish, nor nippy fish like barbs. Medium-sized characins, larger rasbora, rainbowfish are suitable. The cichlids should not be housed with Tiger Barbs.
Ok. The cichlids havenā€™t touched the tiger barbs. The tiger barbs are full grown and are bigger than 2 of the polar convicts.

I have a 20 gallon tank with a pair of apistogramma cacatuoides, peacock gudgeons, sparkling and honey gourami, and some neon and ember tetras. Would a banjo cat work? They look pretty cool and they have some at my lfs. They are about 2 inches at the store.

Very interesting, Iā€™m getting ready to setup a 47g with a stocking list pretty similar to your original.
- neon tetra (18ish)
- rummy nose tetra (8 or 10)
- Honey Gourami (2)
- bristlenose pleco (1)
- Khuli Loach (5)
- Apistogramma borelli (pair)
- peacock Gudgeons (1 male 2 female)
- Otocinclus (3)

Heavily planted, lots of caves and a triangle aquascape to keep some open swimming space etc. So itā€™s not the same but as you have a 20 with a similar setup. Do you have any feedback by any chance?

Most reactions

trending

Back