Banjo Catfish Has Strange Thing On Fin, Help?

FishForums.net Pet of the Month
🐶 POTM Poll is Open! 🦎 Click here to Vote! 🐰
Did you see the skin going thinner on the dorsal fin area.

Would really help if you can get another picture from above, that way we can have a good look at what the skin is like around the bone.

This fish also has a recommended tank size of 100 litres your tank works out to 58. It is possibly that this fish is quite an active swimmer and may have damaged itself on the rock in some way.

The wound looks clean.
Any jaggered edges to the skin.
Any tear marks like he has caught it on something in the tank.
Dosn't look like an injury but could be wrong.
Looks like someting eaten the skin away to me.

Would really help if you can get another picture from above, that way we can have a good look at what the skin is like around the bone.

This fish also has a recommended tank size of 100 litres your tank works out to 58. It is possibly that this fish is quite an active swimmer and may have damaged itself on the rock in some way.
Yeh thats possble, althogh its a smoth rock, but it could have done that on the gravel but im not sure, and hears you picture

Attachments

• 008___Copy.JPG
    008___Copy.JPG
    69 KB · Views: 42
Has he rub himself on the bogwood.

The wound looks clean.
Any jaggered edges to the skin.
Any tear marks like he has caught it on something in the tank.
Dosn't look like an injury but could be wrong.
Looks like someting eaten the skin away to me.

yer :S hope not lol, and to answer yor question from before, the dorsal fin looks fine to me, and about the ogwood, again not sure, because he is mostly noctural, but he does like to sit around by the bogwood and also there is a bit or granite and slate in there, that could have cut him, also i found a moth has flown in there and died the other day, could that have afeected anything?

The other fins don't seem to have any marks on them.

There is alot of redness and inflammation around the bone. Looks almost as if the skin has actually been ripped off to me, and also looks like infection is starting to set in.

Does the interpet medicine say it can be applied directly to a wound, as I would think that is extremely sore and irritating to the fish. As it is down to the bone, if infection gets a hold and spreads the fish could end up with septicaemia. Getting a little antiseptic directly onto the wound may help a little with this.

I agree with tigerissey if they red marks the wounds needs dabbing.
I would also add the tetra med to stop septicemia setting in.
It would be better if you could issolate the sick fish.

Do you have any methylene blue.

Have a look around the tank for a lump of flesh.
Though the fish could of eaten it by now.

Remove any ornaments that have sharp edges.
If you want to keep them you will have to sand down the sharp edges.
I doubt the moth would of done anything.
Have you removed the moth.

I agree with tigerissey if they red marks the wounds needs dabbing.
I would also add the tetra med to stop septicemia setting in.
Is would be better if you could issolate the sick fish.

Do you have any methylene blue.

no i have no methylene blue and i have used the tetra med thkngy, how would i apply antiseptic?
and nope i have lost the moth lol and no sign of a lump of flesh and ok i'll remove the slte, only sharp thing in there

Wrap the fish in a cloth soaked in tank water. Ask someone to hold the fish down for you. cotton wool soak in tank then squeeze the water out. Add the lotion to cotton wool and they dab the wound all around the infected area.
Make sure you can use the tetra med raw on a fish.

I can see the redness now in the last pic you have loaded up.
Have you added the tetra med as you really need an internal bacterial med for septicemia.
Anti internal bacteria med by interpet.

Wrap the fish in a cloth soaked in tank water. Ask someone to hold the fish down for you. cotton wool soak in tank then squeeze the water out. Add the lotion to cotton wool and they dab the wound all around the infected area.
Make sure you can use the tetra med raw on a fish.

umm well it says nothing about applying raw to the fish so i dunno, should i still do it?

No.
You could just try some salt diluted down in water.

Once you have applied the antiseptic just allow a minute or so for it to saturate the wound before releasing the fish back into the tank.

You will probably need to do a water change everyday as keeping the water as clean as possible will aid recovery and keep the wound as clean as possible. Prob about 25% WC.

No.
You could just try some salt diluted down in water.

What would that do?

Once you have applied the antiseptic just allow a minute or so for it to saturate the wound before releasing the fish back into the tank.

You will probably need to do a water change everyday as keeping the water as clean as possible will aid recovery and keep the wound as clean as possible. Prob about 25% WC.

And Okay, Thanks :good: :good:

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Members online

Back