Bamboo Shrimp Group Size?

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

Is there any kind of food I could buy for him that would I could just add straight from the tub as is?
Fry food maybe? But that's often just normal food but in fine. Maybe even liquid fry food?

I can try preparing some fine dry foods and sending to you, but you would be better off trying the rolling pin or mortar&pestle method because it sounds like the shrimp may need food quite urgently.

I think a mortar and pestle might not be a bad idea - I do what I can with my fingers but I don't normally get the flake that small.

Is there any kind of food I could buy for him that would I could just add straight from the tub as is?

Ammonia and nitrites are at 0, yes.

I would think it to be far easier just to use the food you've got and crush it up fine. I use mortar and pestle too but a rolling pin or the back of a spoon works too.

I've got 3 bamboos ...mine seem to root around in the mornings,then when I'm home from work,they are always perched on the plants in the water flow doing the fan dance... I feed them (and the 5 dwarf rasboras) a mixture of fry food,a special mix I made of a bit of every food I've got,crushed up,and frozen lobster eggs (it thaws to a really fine texture)...Mine doing ok,and had another shedding last night. And missed seeing it again!!! :angry:

And ANOTHER shedding today...and I missed THAT too!!!! Grrrr!!

I've kept shrimp for years and have only witnessed the shed twice. They mainly shed at night or they go and hide to shed. It takes 1 second for it to happen so that makes the likelihood of witnessing it very slim. It is very cool to see though, the shrimp appear slightly larger before the moult due to the water it takes in to it's shell to help build pressure under it. It will grasp his head with his front legs and fold it's body in half, breaking the shell, then flips out of it.

I was trying to find this thread to give an update, but couldn't find it, so thanks for posting!

Woke up Saturday morning to find my bamboo shrimp had molted, and since doing so he's been a lot more active and does the fan thing a lot more. Hopefully that was all it was, though it does seem a long time before the molt that he was acting strange. I dunno, he seems to be alright for the moment now.

Did you leave the skin in there? Apparently they are full of nutrients and goodies.... Yuk!!! I aquired a new one at the weekend,he's huge!!!! about twice the size of my others

Did you leave the skin in there? Apparently they are full of nutrients and goodies.... Yuk!!! I aquired a new one at the weekend,he's huge!!!! about twice the size of my others

Bamboo shrimp unfortunately don't eat their exoskeleton but if there are any other types of shrimp in the tank, they will :good: Fish will also have a bit of a nibble at it too.

Ah, I didnt know that, I thought they ate the exoskeleton. Is there any harm in leaving it in the tank? I think mine ended up in pieces and is buried in the substrate now.

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Members online

Back