bamboo in a tank

FishForums.net Pet of the Month
🐶 POTM Poll is Open! 🦎 Click here to Vote! 🐰

billy61788

Fishaholic
Reaction score
ive seen different tank pictures where people have put green bamboo into them(Living bamboo). do fish eat it or is it just another plant that people add to their tanks? and what needs to be done to it because i think it looks nice in tanks and want to add it to mine.

Oooh I saw those pis too and wondered!!

Does anyone know if it's ok to cut the stick of the bamboo to make it shorter? All the bamboo I have is tall.

Thanks for any info

Pretty sure some bamboo will root like that Cheese.
Currently I have a ton of house plants rooting in my aquarium.
Don't see why the Bamboo would hurt anything. :)
Just keep a check on your water. :)

My next step is trying to find some rice to grow. :D

you can root house plants for an aquarium? how do you do that? and how do you check to make sure they wont poison your fish? and is it easy because if so ill give that a try

OHHHH you said FOR an aquarium. My bad-

No, most plants will not grow IN your tank. They will just rot and die.
Mine have stems IN the aquarium while the leaves are outside it-
Basically I have plants growing OUT of my aquarium.loll.
You cna experiment though, :) .
Use a jar with water in it and put your plants in- or over time gradually increase the amount of water your plant gets-. :dunno: It might work eventually.

Yuppers you can root them.

These are the ones I have going now-

Angel Wing Begonia.

Wandering Jew.

and Coleaus. (SP?)

They all have "juicy" stems- succulents. :)
All I do is remove the leaves that would be underwater and stick them in the tank.
I also have some growing out of my filter,lol.

I've never had a problem with doing this- but I don't know if they are deadly-
Probably not, since I've been doing it for years,lol.

I even have one growing fully underwater. I truly doubt it will last long though, maybe put out a couple leaves.

You can grow woody stemmed plants like this as well.

If it can be rooted in water- it can be rooted in an aquarium.

Just make sure it wont kill your fish,lol.

I do NOT recommend using Angel Trumpets aka Brugmansias.
Every part of that plant is deadly.

crimsontsavo said:
OHHHH you said FOR an aquarium. My bad-

No, most plants will not grow IN your tank. They will just rot and die.
Mine have stems IN the aquarium while the leaves are outside it-
Basically I have plants growing OUT of my aquarium.loll.
You cna experiment though, :) .
Use a jar with water in it and put your plants in- or over time gradually increase the amount of water your plant gets-. :dunno: It might work eventually.

Yuppers you can root them.

These are the ones I have going now-

Angel Wing Begonia.

Wandering Jew.

and Coleaus. (SP?)

They all have "juicy" stems- succulents. :)
All I do is remove the leaves that would be underwater and stick them in the tank.
I also have some growing out of my filter,lol.

I've never had a problem with doing this- but I don't know if they are deadly-
Probably not, since I've been doing it for years,lol.

I even have one growing fully underwater. I truly doubt it will last long though, maybe put out a couple leaves.

You can grow woody stemmed plants like this as well.

If it can be rooted in water- it can be rooted in an aquarium.

Just make sure it wont kill your fish,lol.

I do NOT recommend using Angel Trumpets aka Brugmansias.
Every part of that plant is deadly.
wow Crimson, I am so impressed with your plant knowledge. I was a horticulture major before I went into nursing............. :thumbs:

you are sooooooo right about the angel trumpets.......anything from the nightshade family is deadly........ :X

Anyway, just wanted to say that I have a peace lilly in my aquarium completely submerged and doing great. I would say to just experiment and see..........let us know what you come up with, always neat to hear any other new plants we can get away with growing in the 'ol fish tank!

lol Olive- it's an addictive thing. (nature).

I have a vine growing in my aquarium now.
It was at the creek on very high ground. I have never seen it in the water,ever.

I put in it a few months back- and to my surprise- it's growing. :D
It's a slow grower but isnt dying and has put off many roots.

I have a picture if y'all want me to upload it. :)

From what I understand
Bamboo for FW and
Mangrove for SW

These things are supposed to be filters on crack.

It is easy for us to change Amonia into nitrite and nitrite into nitrate... then what? Plants :)

these suckers compleate the cycle and look good doing it.
I have only looked into Mangrove... but I am pretty sure they are similar plants.

Of course you want to becareful about roots ripping up stuff.
What I have seen in pictures is the stalks being held by egg crate with the cuts just under the water line... often right in a HOB or the overflow box. What I would like to do is pump water to a trough and line them up in there right at my window... which gets to the problem of these suckers... they need light... and most FO tanks dont want light so you can have easy care w less algea.
Any links on these 2 plants would be more than welcome by me (if not from other forums... other wise steal the info ... ok give some one credit and post it here :) )

http://saltaquarium.about.com/gi/dynamic/o...%2FMangroves%2F

Unfortuanatly, at least w the mangroves (21 bucks at the LFS for a stalk only no leaves!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!).

crimsontsavo said:
lol Olive- it's an addictive thing. (nature).

I have a vine growing in my aquarium now.
It was at the creek on very high ground. I have never seen it in the water,ever.

I put in it a few months back- and to my surprise- it's growing. :D
It's a slow grower but isnt dying and has put off many roots.

I have a picture if y'all want me to upload it. :)
well of course! :D :p

my mom has these plants im not sure what its called i think its called spider plant or spider monkey or something im not sure of the name but it kind of looks like grasses when its small but she roots that inw ater....does anyone know if its safe for tanks? ill see if i can find the actual name

Probably is a Verigated Spider Plant. Very common in households everywhere.
We have the solid kind as well as the verigated. They mainly reproduce through "babies" on longish stalks off the mother plant.

You can place them in an aquarium- but they will eventually die. I had one GROWING inside my aquarium for two months (about that time anyway) then it peetered off and died.

You can root them in an aquarium also-

I am not sure how long they will last in water- we have had some in a glass for many many months at a time- with no foul results. :)

Not fully submerged though. :(

If you just had a place you wanted to fill in with grass- you could put some in the tank- remove it when it starts to look "bad"- and replace with a new one- placing the old one in a pot in your home.
You can repeat this process and always have some in your tank.

For delicate fish such as Discus- I wouldnt do it unless you have super filtration. :) ( I've never had Discus.)

Lemme find that picture. :D

the mangrove in the link are cultured in FW. I have checked some sites and they do not seem to do all that much... nothing like having a hidden tank with either 24=7 lights or reverse daylight set up and then just scooping out the fast growing algea to remove biomass (aka hard to get rid of nitrogen at the end of the cycle).

I know you all are talking about dipping or rooting regular vine plants into the aquarium... I can't remember when I did it before... but I know I have... probably in runners when my tanks all used filters that were basically a runner running over the tank which I used nylons with charcole in them and some filter pads for poo... water pumped up one side and ran back down to the other side via a little pump... great for setting up traveling breeding shows :)

any how... I belive I would just put plant clippings in there... of course they would root and grow like mad... one thing is you have to watch for rotting in the roots and watch out for crud getting trapped in them.

wow lots of words for 2 sentences of actual info... sorry bout that.

Hi....I grow Philadendron out of my Tanks ,roots dangle in the tank,looks really good.I also have Lucky Bambo growing out of my HOB filters,I came across some Aquaclear covers and trimmed holes in them to hold the Bambo,It looks really good also,tried once to grow bambo on inside it seemed to work ,but got worried and put them in the HOB filters,Have had this setup running for 2 years and Bambo roots are growiing very well in the box,have completly taken over inside of box,so if you do it you will need 2 HOB 1 for the bambo and 1 for your medium.Try it I get compliments all the time on this setup. ;)

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Back