Balloon belly Molly only swim at the top of the tank

FishForums.net Pet of the Month
šŸ¶ POTM Poll is Open! šŸ¦Ž Click here to Vote! šŸ°

mkeithly

Reaction score
Hi I am very new to having fish and Iā€™m very worried because my balloon belly Molly only swims at the top of the tank. From what I can tell it doesnā€™t swim around the tank much at all. I also have two guppies that swim around the tank, but my Molly rarely visits the bottom half of the tank. I have a filter in my tank as well as an air stone. Iā€™ve only had them for two days so Iā€™m not sure if itā€™s because of that or if Iā€™m doing something wrong. Any help is appreciated!!!!

Hi there! Welcome to the hobby, we will do our best to help. Are you using tapwater with a water conditioner for your tank? Right now, I would suggest you clean your gravel and remove 75% of the water from the tank. Then top the tank back up with clean conditioned water, making sure the temperature of the new water matches the temperature of the tank water. That should make sure your water is nice and safe for now, while we figure out what's going on for your fish.

After doing that big water change, please come back and copy and paste this template and fill in as many of the details as you can. Don't worry if you don't know the answers to some questions, just let us know what you can. :) The more information the better for us though. Since we can't see your tank or fish, the information helps us pinpoint what might be happening with your fish and tank.

Request Help

Tank size:
pH:
ammonia:
nitrite:
nitrate:
kH:
gH:
tank temp:

Fish Symptoms (include full description including lesion, color, location, fish behavior):

Volume and Frequency of water changes:

Chemical Additives or Media in your tank:

Tank inhabitants:

Recent additions to your tank (living or decoration):

Exposure to chemicals:

Digital photo (include if possible):

Mollies are a top dwelling fish. Looking at a fish mouth one can determine where it mostly swims.
Upturned mouth like a molly, top swimmer/feeder,front facing mouth like a tetra middle swimmer/feeder,or a down turned mouth like a cory.bottom swimmer/feedee
Having said that balloon mollies are also genetically modified fish that often have health problems.
Answer as many of the questions above and someone may possibly come to a solution or answer for you. As a top swimming, feeding fish id just assume the molly is doing what it lts doing but could also be something else. Good luck!

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Back