Balancing my flow with the sump

FishForums.net Pet of the Month
🐶 POTM Poll is Open! 🦎 Click here to Vote! 🐰

Warriors

Reaction score
hi there everyone

i have just setup my 150gal with a 30gal sump I have installed a bean animal overflow I seem to have everything sorted it is running silent and level on the dorso pipe is where it should be all seem to be okish

the only problem I seem to have is when i get the level in the sump to the mark level when initial setup i come down in the morning and the level has drop by 1/2 in to an inch.

some people have told me it is due to condensation and others have said it is not balanced right or the pump is not constant in its flow.

so i am asking for help please only give advise if you know the correct info as i am getting a lot of conflicting info and it is frying my brain....

if any one lives in east London and knows there stuff about sumps and would not mind popping round to give me some help that would also be fantastic.

please see attached photos

thanks in advance

Attachments

• 20200729_171956.jpg
    20200729_171956.jpg
    195.8 KB · Views: 60
  • 20200729_172053.jpg
    20200729_172053.jpg
    69.6 KB · Views: 80
  • 20200729_172110.jpg
    20200729_172110.jpg
    165.1 KB · Views: 50
  • 20200729_172006.jpg
    20200729_172006.jpg
    202.6 KB · Views: 76
Having just come from a saltwater setup with sump, I would say it's from evaporation. The whole surface area of the tank will evaporate water and the only place you will see a change in levels is in the return section of the sump. Do you have an auto top off to replace the evaporated water? This is the norm with sumped saltwater tanks.

Last edited:
I myself have just setup my sumped tank to freshwater too. But I'm running the auto top off to replace evaporated water

Last edited:
Hi it is my first big tank with a sump and no have no ato not too sure how I set one up either I have a slim compartment at the other end of the sump which I do not know what it is for maybe it is for that

if you see the pictures I posted not sure it shows on there... so you think it is down to evaporation so I should not keep adjusting the flow just top it up.... i was just worried that I would end up having too much water and overflowing if power went out...

You should start by switching off the return pump and making sure the sump doesn't overflow as a precaution.
But yes I totally think this is evaporation.
You can buy ato sets online if you look it up, and the compartment will be for this.
My sump has a separate small tank above filled with topup water that works on a gravity float switch in the return section.
But untill you work it out you can just top up to your line in the return section.

Just FWIW if you run an auto top up, or top up manually, you should use RO water just as for salt water tanks. Water evaporates but minerals (and nitrates) don't and over time you would end up with very hard water if you just use tap water.

Yes that's a good point too. Ro water can be bought at many fish shops but simple to plumb your own in under a sink etc

thank for the feedback i have turned off the return pump and let all the water drain and the level is about 2in below the top of the sump it is a 30gal sump. so no chance of it over flowing.

just seems a lot to evaporate in 24hrs but i guess if that is the opinion of most then i will look into setting up ato system

the level in the DT seems to have drop so do i just top that up as well or will the ato do that job ???

Thanks for all your replies so is an ATO the best way to go if so can anyone surgest one that works good as their seems to be a lot out there or anyone using one that is reliable

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Members online

Back