Bala Shark has swollen reddish eye Photos

April FOTM Photo Contest Starts Now!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to enter! 🏆

Eelzor

This shrimp is so good it needs to be seen in wide
Reaction score
Recently one of my bala sharks got this reddishness above one of it's eyes. It seems to be dying as it is haging near the top of the tank, will not eat and looks dazed. If anyone knows what it is tnx for help. :/

Edit: Ack, I could have just put this in emergencies - I didn't realise that you could add attachments there. - Nevertheless, is anyone wants to move this post, do so.

Here is the photo

Attachments

• SA400072_Resized.JPG
    SA400072_Resized.JPG
    82.2 KB · Views: 819
Hmm...
The only thing I can think of is that it might be popeye, but I've never seen popeye be that red before. One other thing it could be is a tumor and could be messing with his equilibrium and balance and that might be why he's acting dazed.

Is he gasping for air at the top or just kind of hanging there?

i would say popeye too and he has a lot of blood building up behind it. It may well pop if something isnt done, but i dont know what. sorry.

Yes it looks like pop eye too me as well; the redness is caused by haemorrhaging in the eye due to the pop eye but is usually quite rare as a side effect of pop eye, here's a picture;

http://www.fishpalace.org/popeye1_TJSchwer...hotmail.com.jpg

And here's a pic of normal pop eye;

http://www.fishpalace.org/popeye_qianhu.jpg

Pop eye is usually caused by an internal bacterial infection(there are meds available for treating this by Interpet) or by bad water quality conditions- none the less though having top notch water conditions will help the fish recover alot faster.

Pop eye isn't very infectious and it isn't nesarsary you have to quarentine him as most people don't get more than one fish affected at a time(unless they are very unlucky), i would use the Interpet treatment and perhaps some Melafix and do a series of water changes(taking note of med level in the water of course too and replacing any meds lost) and it should clear up within a couple of days to a week.

I am using meds now and it is only in that one eye. He's not gasping for air and he seems a litte better now, but only a little. I'll keep you updated.

Most reactions

trending

Members online

Back