Bala shark and pleco butchering every plant

EmmaTheCabbage

Fish Fanatic
Reaction score
Hello so Iā€™ve got a Bala shark and pleco in 75 gal (ik thatā€™s too small. Gonna upgrade when I get round to it) Iā€™ve tried SOOOOOO many plants but the 2 of them just wreck anything I put in there. Literally gone through 100s$ of plants from just these guys. All my other plants in other tanks are ok so Iā€™m pretty sure itā€™s just these guys being difficult. They always uproot everything or tare them to shreds. Or if I am to get them rooted and them not destroy them, they will just destroy any new leaves meaning the plant will eventually die. Iā€™ve tried crypts, Anubis, Vals, floaters (banana plants worked for a bit) water sprite, pennywart, Brazilian pennywort, even elodea and hornwart they ripped all the leaves off! and soooooo many more. I was thinking of trying a bunch of lucky on the end of tank with just their roots submerged. Or maybe looking into getting some water lily bulbs. Trouble is if need something stupidly solid and arenā€™t bulbs fragile? Any suggestions?

Giant Val is your best bet it is tough as houses. Java fern is always a good option. With Cichlids I would always tie down the Val, you can use long cable ties around their base then put rocks on the cable tie ends under the gravel.

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Back