Baffle For Filter

April FOTM Photo Contest Starts Now!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to enter! 🏆

brittgs

Fish Fanatic
Reaction score
I am in the process of setting up a 5gal tank for a Betta. Plants and some rocks are in and I used some filter media from my 29 gal tank to jump start the cycle. I notice that the outflow from the filter seems strong and other threads here mention that Bettas like still water. How do I baffle it so that when I get my Betta he I'll be comfortable and not blown around the tank?

Bottle method. http://youtu.be/1W4OTWswHCE

You can also put a sponge over the intake.

I have one of those 5.5 gallon kits from Petsmart, and the filter flow was still freaking out my newest betta even after I did the water bottle baffle. I ended up cutting a section of aquarium foam so it is about 1 inch longer than the baffle and sliding it inside through the water bottle piece. The ends of the sponge touch the water and diffuse the flow perfectly. It worked really well.

eduller said:
I have one of those 5.5 gallon kits from Petsmart, and the filter flow was still freaking out my newest betta even after I did the water bottle baffle. I ended up cutting a section of aquarium foam so it is about 1 inch longer than the baffle and sliding it inside through the water bottle piece. The ends of the sponge touch the water and diffuse the flow perfectly. It worked really well.
Can you show a picture? I cant picture that in my head.

Sure thing. I will take one this evening when I get home and post. Until then, you get the benefit of my expertise in Paint. The sponge is actually one of those white filter bags you typically would pour carbon/substrate inside, so it's "floppy" and droops into the water on the ends when it extends past the baffle. I hope you are not color blind.
Madpaintskillz_zps39c7ec6a.jpg

The red is the filter outflow. I don't know why I made it red...

Thanks so much for the advice, video and diagram.  Very helpful.  My tank is the 5.5 Top fin from Petsmart as well.  I will try the water bottle and foam and let you know how it goes.

eduller said:
Sure thing. I will take one this evening when I get home and post. Until then, you get the benefit of my expertise in Paint. The sponge is actually one of those white filter bags you typically would pour carbon/substrate inside, so it's "floppy" and droops into the water on the ends when it extends past the baffle. I hope you are not color blind.
Madpaintskillz_zps39c7ec6a.jpg

The red is the filter outflow. I don't know why I made it red...

Damn, van gogh! Lol you are hilarious. The diagram helped btw!

Eduller, I constructed the baffle and sponge the way you diagramed and it works perfectly! The water is still and quiet.  Thanks so much. 

I also formed 2 caves out of rounded rocks and used marine silicone to hold them together.  When they dry I will get some java fern to attach  to them.  I sanded my mopani wood with 100 grit sandpaper and then went over it again with 320 grit so it is very smooth (I make jewelry as a hobby so have lots of different sandpaper!).  Of course now that I've exposed more surface I need to soak it some more before I put it in the tank. Once it is ready I'll get more plants to attach to it.  I am having fun getting this little tank ready.

I'm telling you, Paint is the new Photoshop. And I have some real talent there.

I'm so glad my method worked for you! I actually ordered a new filter when the water bottle baffle wouldn't work, but then I thought of the sponge and ended up being able to send back the other filter. Thank you Amazon for free returns!

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Back