Badis

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

sylvia

Fish Connoisseur
Reaction score
Has anyone kept Badis? What are they like? Aggressive? Water prefferences? Breeding? Would they be ok in a community tank with gouramies, livebearers, danios, cories, tetras etc? What about feeding? I've read they used to be classified as cichlids... would they get along with any cichlids and do they breed like cichlids? Anyone have photos? I've looked around the net... but so far I've found very little info. Thanks!

Hi Sylvia :)

There are a few type of Badis, some of the commonly seen are Badis badis badis, Badis badis burminicanis (sp?), and Badis badis siamensis
This is a Badis badis badis
post-22-1098568773.jpg

My dad (lucky62) owns this guy, as well as 4 others, so maybe he'll post on breeding, size, feeding etc :) You can also take these scientific names and have a look on google :)

Thanks! Beautiful fish BTW! I will do that google search but any more info is still, ofcourse, appreciated :)

look here

I keep 3 males and 2 females [ badis badis badis ], the picture posted in dwarfs reply is 1 of my males .

My fish do fine with PH just above neutral with moderately hard water [ what comes out of my tap works just fine ], though it is said they prefer the water on the softer and more acidic side .

That being said they are undemanding in respect to strict water chemistry .[I.M.O]
My tank temp is 78 Fahrenheit , 76 to 80 would be fine .

Water current shouldn't be to fast , and water should be changed regularly

Mine breed pretty readily , they spawn and the female leaves the male to guard the eggs [ to raise fry you would need small very small live food ] I have yet to try and raise any fry . cichlid like courtship .

Mine won't take any kind of prepared food [ dry food flakes ], they will eat freeze dried blood worms and freeze dried brine shrimp , but would prefer live food . I haven't tried any kind of frozen food yet , but I'm sure they would eat frozen brine and blood worms .

Badis are a sub member of the perch family as are cichlids , the badis was actually classified with labyrinth fish such as gouramis , bettas etc .
They are currently classified as a member of the nandids , which contains 2 species of leaf fish and the badis .

once thought to be a single species more different species have been discovered [I will try to provide you another link or 2 link ] including darios .
I find their behavior to be similar to that of cichlids .

They can be territorial mainly among themselves so provide plenty of cover in the form of plants , rocks , caves and even drift or bog wood , faster fish will easily beat them to food put in the tank , so choose tank mates that aren't to fast .

check out my sig , these fish have been together since June and get along great .feel free to PM me with any questions

Wow thanks! Do you keep all the fish you mentioned together? What size tank would you say they need? Also, where did you get yours from? I was just searching the internet and the info is realy very limited but I've read that the males fight, that they get along great, that the females are duller, that they all look the same, that they eat live foods only or cannot be bred, are temperamental or peaceful or shy or aggressive... I just keep reading conflicting views from people who probably haven't ever kept them... So thanks very much for sharing your knowledge! :)

All those fish live together in a 70 gallon tank , you don't need a tank that big , a 10 or 20 gal would work , depends on the number of fish .

My males [about 2"]are larger then my females [1 1/4 "], also more colorful .
not sure if they're full grown , but I think they're done .

I had a hard time finding them in shops ,I bought them on line at LIVEAQUARIA. COM .

The females have rounder bellies , the males bellies are flatter even curve in a little .

Like I said mine have bred , many times [ I've seen babies ] , the problem would be providing small live food for them , If you had a well established tank to raise fry in the may find food in it .

The males try to establish their own territory and defend it mainly against other male badis' though mine sometimes tangle with my male gudgeons .

Fighting is harmless , provide cover/retreats .

It is true they look more or less the same but another name for these fish is the dwarf chameleon fish , they literally change color before my eyes , from paler then the one in that picture to almost jet black with a greenish blueish purplish in between .

sylvia said:
Thanks for the link!
you're quite welcome :)

Try Google "Dwarf chameleon fish "as well .

Mine love to hang out in their plants and caves , but always come to the front when I'm at the tank ........all but the otos do this :drool: I guess they know food follows .

by the way sylvia , Welcome to the forums :hi:

:) I think I might get myself a few badis... they sound nice and they are obviously beautiful fish. I think I might try to breed and raise a few actualy. I breed pearl gouramies so small foods shouldn't be a problem and it would be wonderful to see them change color like that!

Thanks for all the help and extra info... I'm going to try liveaquaria.com and see if I can get some from there. If not, I'll search around. I'm sure I'll eventualy find some :p

6 is a good # , depending on the tank size of coarse .

Good luck and have fun .

I'm considering something smaller to start with - say 20 gallons. How many do you think could be kept in there without too much territorial aggression? How many in a 10 gallon? I think I'll be doing a species tank but if I decide on community, are there any fish you would recomend for the smaller size tank that would be compatible?

Keep in mind they like to establish territories , the males that is , and I've never kept them in anything smaller then the tank they are in now [ 70].

I would put as many 2 pairs maybe 5 badis total in a 10 gal .

A 20 gal long would be much better IOM , 10 badis may be pushing it 7 or 8 could work .
If you keep the numbers low and have a nice densely planted tank , fry may survive without being removed [ this is my goal ].

To obtain both sexes you would most likely have to buy several fish that is why I said 6 is a good number to start with .

Some badis species grow to larger sizes than others , keep this in mind .

My badis badis badis males are about 1" smaller then my sons badis badis asemensis . You would have to stock accordingly .

remember lots of cover , they like to hide , they may need to hide from time to time [ to rest or breed ].
they like to spawn in caves , flower pots work if you can find real small ones 2" or 1 1/2" , coconut shells work as well , and they love plants , and little crevasses to swim in and out of [ rocks ].

Badis will eat whatever can fit in it's mouth , so in choosing tank mates you'll need something almost as big as the badis , then again the tank mates may eat all the food before your badis even know it's in the tank , this is why some reference books tell you they are not a good community fish , because they are slower to eat[ they kind of stalk the food before eating ].

I myself don't care for live bearers , but you might put some platies with them , or guppies if you can find big males .

cory cats are always a good choice :nod:

Thanks so much! I actualy didn't expect to be able to put that many in a 10 gallon :p I'm contemplating a 20 gallon species tank of badis badis badis so, if I finaly find a way of getting some healthy individuals (found some at an lfs the other day but they looked like they were dying) I'll start off with six as you suggested and, maybe, add two more if I think that looks like it might work. It will be a planted tank with lots of rockwork anyway so hiding places shouldn't be a problem. Thankyou for all the info!

i was just about ton ask about these guys :lol:

thanx for asking sylvia and thanls for the info lucky :thumbs:

just one Q

i see you have them with an apisto, so i was wondering, do you think they will do well with my dwarf cichlids(keyholes,bolivian rams etc) in jmy 40 us gals?

DD :D

Most reactions

trending

Members online

Back