Badger's Tea Garden

FishForums.net Pet of the Month
🐶 POTM Poll is Open! 🦎 Click here to Vote! 🐰
The barbs are finally starting to come out in the open to feed. They dash for cover the moment they see anyone, but that's to be expected. Wild caught fish...it takes them a while to figure out the new reality. :rolleyes:

I seem to have only one male barb, which is kind of a bummer. The males are stunningly beautiful; the females are just sort of gray. Well, maybe lots of females will make for less aggression. I'm slightly worried about that as I only have six in a relatively small tank. Someday I want to redo this build with a 55 or 75g. But for now, this is what I've got.

The corica loaches like to lay on the bottom and move their eyes around. They are really amusing little critters.

These odessa barbs were a big mistake. They are super aggressive, constantly chasing each other around. My research told me this species is very peaceful and fine for a tank this size. But wow. Constant bickering keeping the other residents of the tank from relaxing. If I could I would catch them all and give them away, but there's no way I'm going to catch them. Hopefully they'll calm down as they settle in.

Last edited:
Well, it happened: The moment I resolved to get rid of these odessa barbs, they immediately started behaving themselves. 😆 But I still think they need to go; this tank just doesn't feel big enough for them. I am hoping, in the foreseeable future, to upgrade this build to at least a 55g, at which time I might try them again. But we have too many projects in the works to even consider it right now.

Well, it happened: The moment I resolved to get rid of these odessa barbs, they immediately started behaving themselves. 😆 But I still think they need to go; this tank just doesn't feel big enough for them. I am hoping, in the foreseeable future, to upgrade this build to at least a 55g, at which time I might try them again. But we have too many projects in the works to even consider it right now.
Think your right with the Odessa's and your tank size. I had a group of 9 (3m,6f) in a 50g and didnt see any aggression or bad behaviour. They where very peaceful

If you get the right size group ratio in a tank to fit them comfortably and they are a joy to have so id definitely get them in the future if you get chance again. Stunning fish😍

Well, I managed to catch all the little speedsters. Had to almost drain the tank because there are so many hiding places. One or two of my hill stream loaches were left high and dry for a minute or two, but seem none the worse for wear.

I do plan to keep this species properly some day. The colors of the males are just amazing, especially the orange eyes.

Another ten or so choprae danios just came in from the LFS. I wasn't expecting them until next month sometime! Hastily setting up a qt tank, since my LFS's supplier notoriously sends sick fish. So I'll be treating them with paraguard for a week or two before I put them in. But I'm excited to have a full school of danios! Such cool little fish.

Wow I just read your entire journal. I am so happy that you were able to figure it all out after the mystery deaths of some of you fish so sorry for your losses. I can’t wait to see more updates. Those little fish on the bottom that are actually from the place you were trying to bace that tank off are really cool. I would love to get some someday. I actually would like to get everything in your tank someday it just all seems like such a cool setup. I found a website with a fire belly toad. I am not sure if it’s reliable or not but it would be worth checking out. https://www.snakemuseum.com/frogs-toads/173-fire-bellied-toads.html

Wow I just read your entire journal. I am so happy that you were able to figure it all out after the mystery deaths of some of you fish so sorry for your losses. I can’t wait to see more updates. Those little fish on the bottom that are actually from the place you were trying to bace that tank off are really cool. I would love to get some someday. I actually would like to get everything in your tank someday it just all seems like such a cool setup. I found a website with a fire belly toad. I am not sure if it’s reliable or not but it would be worth checking out. https://www.snakemuseum.com/frogs-toads/173-fire-bellied-toads.html
"This product is currently out of stock." Thanks for looking, though! I have a couple local stores keeping eyes out for them, so I'm fairly hopeful.

I just added six choprae danios (lost two in qt), and they're already schooling with the original five. :) It's true: small fish look amazing in big groups. I will try to get a good video of this tank next week sometime after everyone has settled in and colored up a bit. Off to thaw out some brine shrimp...

Most reactions

trending

Back