Badger's Sumatran Rice Paddy

FishForums.net Pet of the Month
🐶 POTM Poll is Open! 🦎 Click here to Vote! 🐰
Well, I took out the stupid looking artificial rice plants. Never could find any that looked decent. These were neon green and obviously fake.

I'm really not happy with this tanks, guys. Thinking about tearing it down and starting over. I have some rice seed on order and might give it one more shot. The concepts is fun; it just isn't coming out like I visualized.

Well, I took out the stupid looking artificial rice plants. Never could find any that looked decent. These were neon green and obviously fake.
I bought some artificial floating water lettuce type plants. Looked good from above but the roots were rigid and pointed. Probably dangerous. They’re in the excess equipment box now.

Did the red rooted floaters or giant (not really) duckweed not work for you? I missed when you went artificial with the floaters and rice. Sorry the tank didn't come along as you liked, is the rice you bought originally an aquatic rice? I did notice that the rices I found on Google grow in shallow water. Hard to find small rice varieties, even looking at wild rice (there is one native to Asia) but the plants get big 1-3 meters big!

Lol, got up early for my first day of class and I am already distracted, hope this isn't a theme for me (knowing me-it will be :sad:)

Did the red rooted floaters or giant (not really) duckweed not work for you? I missed when you went artificial with the floaters and rice. Sorry the tank didn't come along as you liked, is the rice you bought originally an aquatic rice? I did notice that the rices I found on Google grow in shallow water. Hard to find small rice varieties, even looking at wild rice (there is one native to Asia) but the plants get big 1-3 meters big!

Lol, got up early for my first day of class and I am already distracted, hope this isn't a theme for me (knowing me-it will be :sad:)
The only floater in this tank is crystalwort, and it's doing fine. I just can't get rice to grow. The artificial stuff I found was a good size and shape, but why oh why do they only make them in these ridiculous play-dough colors?

Anyway, I've been trying to grow black madras rice. It's fairly short and does grow in shallow water. I'm going to try it one more time, following @Colin_T's advice a little more closely. We shall see!

Well, we had a bit of an adventure with this tank today. It was down in the basement, just across from the laundry room, with very poor ventilation. Way too much humidity going on down there. Also, I haven't been spending as much time in the guest room/music studio/writing room as I thought I would, and the tank was being neglected. Also, it was on the back of a large desk in the corner, which made maintenance very difficult.

So, I drained out all but about 1/2" of water, wrestled the tank onto a 1" x 3' x 1' board, and Mrs. Badger and I carried the thing up two flights of stairs and I set it up in the living room. I like it a lot better up here, and I know I'll enjoy it more and take better care of it. I split and cleaned out some bamboo stakes and bbq skewers to add some structure until I can get some rice growing in there. The fish are all looking fine.

IMG_20211009_190934.jpg

@Slaphppy7 Just today I started seeing quite a lot of trumpet snails.
gandalf-battle.gif

Well, we had a bit of an adventure with this tank today. It was down in the basement, just across from the laundry room, with very poor ventilation. Way too much humidity going on down there. Also, I haven't been spending as much time in the guest room/music studio/writing room as I thought I would, and the tank was being neglected. Also, it was on the back of a large desk in the corner, which made maintenance very difficult.

So, I drained out all but about 1/2" of water, wrestled the tank onto a 1" x 3' x 1' board, and Mrs. Badger and I carried the thing up two flights of stairs and I set it up in the living room. I like it a lot better up here, and I know I'll enjoy it more and take better care of it. I split and cleaned out some bamboo stakes and bbq skewers to add some structure until I can get some rice growing in there. The fish are all looking fine.

View attachment 145063

@Slaphppy7 Just today I started seeing quite a lot of trumpet snails.
gandalf-battle.gif
Wow thats a lot of work and I am glad you could move the tank safely up 2 flights without incident. :rofl: RE: the snails. Wait for the :big_boss: I told you so! from Matt!

Last edited by a moderator:

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Back