Badger's Sumatran Rice Paddy

FishForums.net Pet of the Month
🐶 POTM Poll is Open! 🦎 Click here to Vote! 🐰
Go to the supermarket and buy a pack of brown, black or red rice. Don't get white rice because it has been processed and doesn't normally germinate.

Hey badger, it's been a while since I've been on the forum do you have a recent pic the tank and where did you get your inverts from or did they just show up with your plantings?
Here you go!

Went for a very snowy hike in the mountains yesterday and the Badgerling found a bit of moss growing between two rocks. (for those of you who live in climates with rain, I should explain that moss is kind of a rare treat in these parts) She carried it all the way home and suggested I plant it in Sumatra. All I can say is that it hasn't died yet. :)

Went for a very snowy hike in the mountains yesterday and the Badgerling found a bit of moss growing between two rocks. (for those of you who live in climates with rain, I should explain that moss is kind of a rare treat in these parts) She carried it all the way home and suggested I plant it in Sumatra. All I can say is that it hasn't died yet. :)
Ahhh, the power of green :)

THe rice is sprouting! I could tell right away this was way better seed. Plumper and paler colored. The other supplier's seeds were smaller, darker, and kind of shriveled looking. So, maybe in a couple weeks this stuff will be big enough to order some fishies at last! I'm still going with blue rasboras, maculatus rasboras, and imbellis bettas. I think I'm going to get some Pangio cuneovirgata as bottom feeders if TWS still has them when the time comes.

Well, almost all of my rice plants have sprouted, and some of them are a couple inches tall now. I feel like Mark Watney. "I colonized the music studio."
tumblr_nvx714dhwH1qlujf1o3_250.gif

Congrats to you! Glad this batch of seeds worked out. Looking forward to seeing it in your tank.

A couple of the rice plants were tall enough to transplant into the tank today! About three or four more in the next few days. I contacted TWS, and they are looking to see if they have all the fish I want. It will be good to finally get some critters more interesting than seed shrimp, copepods, and pond snails in this thing.

Fishies! No DOAs, but one of the bluies had ich-looking spots, so it went in the invert tank until I figure out what to do with it. Hopefully the others aren't infected.

Blue and dwarf rasboras. Can't wait for these little guys to color up. Ten blues and six maculatus.
rasboras.JPG

They look kind of creepy in this picture. They're much cuter in real live.
rasboras2.JPG

A rather shy imbellis betta...
Betta.JPG

...and his girlfriend.
she betta.JPG

Zipper loaches (Pangio cuneovirgata). These little guys are only about two inches long and won't get much bigger. Cool markings. They're really cute, but I doubt I'll be seeing much of them once they settle in. Mrs. Badger hates them, because she thinks they look like snakes. And they sort of do. But they're cuter.
zipper loach.JPG

zipper loach.JPG

Buddies.
loach buddies.JPG

The overall look of the tank. Can you see the rice growing? It should fill in and bush out a little bit as it grows.
tank.JPG

Attachments

• rasboras.JPG
    rasboras.JPG
    278 KB · Views: 66
First, glad those seeds worked for you. Secondly, congrats on the fish! Actually never seen Blue Rasbora's or zipper loaches before. (At first I thought the zippers where kuhlii's, but the black stripes doesn't extend as far as kuhlii's do)

Fishies! No DOAs, but one of the bluies had ich-looking spots, so it went in the invert tank until I figure out what to do with it. Hopefully the others aren't infected.

Blue and dwarf rasboras. Can't wait for these little guys to color up. Ten blues and six maculatus.
View attachment 133887
They look kind of creepy in this picture. They're much cuter in real live. View attachment 133891

A rather shy imbellis betta...
View attachment 133888

...and his girlfriend.
View attachment 133893

Zipper loaches (Pangio cuneovirgata). These little guys are only about two inches long and won't get much bigger. Cool markings. They're really cute, but I doubt I'll be seeing much of them once they settle in. Mrs. Badger hates them, because she thinks they look like snakes. And they sort of do. But they're cuter.
View attachment 133889
View attachment 133894

Buddies.
View attachment 133895

The overall look of the tank. Can you see the rice growing? It should fill in and bush out a little bit as it grows.
View attachment 133890
Looking beautiful! It will look like a great forest with the rice stalks so tall. Well done, Mr. Badger! I have to vote the Zipper loaches as a new favorite! ;)

I have to vote the Zipper loaches as a new favorite! ;)
I know! They're so tiny! They mostly hide out, but once in a while one or two will go zipping around the surface of the tank for a few minutes. They sort of remind me of my kindergarteners.

I know! They're so tiny! They mostly hide out, but once in a while one or two will go zipping around the surface of the tank for a few minutes. They sort of remind me of my kindergarteners.
I've gotten to calling the shrimplets my "toddlers", as they do look like the little ones running around in the playground and finding all the toys! :)

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Members online

Back