Badger's Sumatran Rice Paddy

FishForums.net Pet of the Month
🐶 POTM Poll is Open! 🦎 Click here to Vote! 🐰
Ah, that’s a bummer.

Where did you get the soil from? (Specifically in your yard?)
Just standard Wyoming clay from an unused flower bed. I usually use Miracle Grow Organic, but the store was out of it. Maybe I should have waited. :lol:

This paddy herb, though! I think I have a new favorite aquarium plant. It's really pretty, grows at a moderate pace (don't have to trim it every other day), and is really lush and beautiful. And it's edible, though I haven't tried it yet.

Just standard Wyoming clay from an unused flower bed. I usually use Miracle Grow Organic, but the store was out of it. Maybe I should have waited. :lol:
Hm. Is it close to your driveway or road? I’m asking because if it was, it’s possible that they clay obtained chemicals.

Did you grow the rice in water or damp potting mix?
Rice normally starts off in potting mix and when it is 10-12 inches long, it gets put in water.

If you have any rice left, soak it in water overnight, then drain the water off and put the rice in a plastic bag. Leave it in a warm place for a few days and see if it germinates (develops a root). If it doesn't germinate, then its crap rice.

PK, no, it's from the back yard.

Colin, I planted half of it straight in the aquarium, and half in damp potting mix in a bucket. I think it's just dead.

The plot thickens: I was looking at the Badgerling's betta tank, which is planted with the same batch of clover fern. Hers has converted to its submersed form (carpeting, teardrop-shaped leaves) and is growing well. Mine put out a bunch of tiny, stunted-looking, clover-shaped leaves, then stopped growing. I think somehow the fern in my tank doesn't realize it's submersed yet. Just my luck to get all the plants in the remedial class...

The copepods are fun to watch. I have a couple of pond snails that look pretty healthy, too. Really need the plants to start growing so I can add some fish to this thing, though.

The plot thickens: I was looking at the Badgerling's betta tank, which is planted with the same batch of clover fern. Hers has converted to its submersed form (carpeting, teardrop-shaped leaves) and is growing well. Mine put out a bunch of tiny, stunted-looking, clover-shaped leaves, then stopped growing. I think somehow the fern in my tank doesn't realize it's submersed yet. Just my luck to get all the plants in the remedial class...

The copepods are fun to watch. I have a couple of pond snails that look pretty healthy, too. Really need the plants to start growing so I can add some fish to this thing, though.
What is the substrate in her tank? And the light?

Same substrate: Dirt under sand. Her sand is a bit coarser than mine; maybe the ferns like a coarser substrate? My tank is actually shallower than hers and has a more powerful light, so I don't think that's the problem.

What light do both of you have?
The big tank has a 36" Finnex Aquasky on a 5 on, 4 off, 5 on schedule. The tank is 36" long, 10" wide, and 6" deep. The Badgerling has a cheapo LED fixture off Amazon.

The company I got the rice from is sending me replacement seeds, so that's nice.

The big tank has a 36" Finnex Aquasky on a 5 on, 4 off, 5 on schedule. The tank is 36" long, 10" wide, and 6" deep. The Badgerling has a cheapo LED fixture off Amazon.

The company I got the rice from is sending me replacement seeds, so that's nice.
The light schedule is not a natural sun cycle. I wonder if that has anything to do with the failure. From what I have been reading, rice wants a 12 hour daylight cycle.

What’s the 5 on, 4 off, 5 on thing? That sounds confusing and it may be your problem. :blink:

Well, that won't be what kept the rice from sprouting...might be the problem with the clover fern but I doubt it.

5-4-5 is a fairly standard light timing for low-tech tanks. Diane Walstad (peace be upon her) recommends it so the CO2 can recharge, which gives the vascular plants an advantage over algae. It isn't as unnatural as it sounds at first. It simulates a mid-day rain storm, which is fairly standard in a lot of tropical areas. I might try putting it on a straight 12 hour cycle and see if it makes a difference to the ferns.

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Back