Badger's Sumatran Rice Paddy

FishForums.net Pet of the Month
🐶 POTM Poll is Open! 🦎 Click here to Vote! 🐰
Me too! Community tanks are fun, but somehow trying to recreate a specific environment is moreso. When are you doing one?
I'd really love to create a biotope based on the Orinoco river, since I've got my plecs originating from that area. Not sure when I'd like to build up one though. Maybe if I have the time (and money) I'll try it with my current 4ft.

I'd really love to create a biotope based on the Orinoco river, since I've got my plecs originating from that area. Not sure when I'd like to build up one though. Maybe if I have the time (and money) I'll try it with my current 4ft.
I did an orinoco biotope (sort of) in a 29g. If I had it to do over I wouldn't go with angelfish; they really like more space. But there are so many other, less-space-needy alternatives for centerpiece fish...or just throw out the centerpiece concept entirely and go with gigantic schools of tetras or pencilfish!

I did an orinoco biotope (sort of) in a 29g. If I had it to do over I wouldn't go with angelfish; they really like more space. But there are so many other, less-space-needy alternatives for centerpiece fish...or just throw out the centerpiece concept entirely and go with gigantic schools of tetras or pencilfish!
I've never been big on centerpiece fish... Since my "centerpiece" is my sailfin and he's a bottom dweller, my dad's constantly trying to convince me to get a group of gourami or similar as my centerpiece. Came up with the compromise that I'd get a couple tetra schools. Got rummynose and cardinals right now, might get more cardinals though.

I've never cared for rummies. That's more @Slaphppy7 's department. To me they just look injured, like something tried to eat their heads and didn't succeed. 🤕 They should be called "Nosebleed tetras." (Slap and I have had this argument for years, ha ha) Glowlights, green neons, cardinals, rubies, and red phantoms are all nice. I've never kept rubies but they look amazing. Red phantoms are one of my all-time favorite fish, though. There are also hatchetfish and pencilfish, both of which are nice alternatives to tetras. So many possibilities!

Well, I am officially changing the name of this tank (and thread) after my latest failure to grow immersed rice. It is a beautiful tank, but it doesn't look like a rice paddy. It looks like a ditch next to a rice paddy. So I'm going to call it a "Paddy Ditch Biotope."

That sounds a lot uglier than it is, though. Anybody have any better ideas?

pictures of your rice plants?
i reckon you put them in too soon, they need to be at least 12 inches long before they get stuck in a pond.

pictures of your rice plants?
i reckon you put them in too soon, they need to be at least 12 inches long before they get stuck in a pond.
You might be right. I've been sprouting them in buckets, and they seem to get to about 10" high then stop growing. Not sure why.

You might be right. I've been sprouting them in buckets, and they seem to get to about 10" high then stop growing. Not sure why.
lack of nutrients or too much water.

Have they got a decent root system on them when you put them in water?

lack of nutrients or too much water.

Have they got a decent root system on them when you put them in water?
Decent, but not great. I started them in only about two inches of potting soil/sand, because that's all they're going to have in the aquarium. I'm guessing they need a deeper substrate than that?

Hey, look! Rice!
(I changed the name in my signature back to "rice paddy"...ha ha ha)

rice!.jpg

Finally...and congrats

I'll make some roast and gravy....when do we eat?
How bout dinner at Badger Manor tomorrow? You bring the roast beast, I'll bring the cheese browns and home-made apple, um, juice?

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Members online

Back