Badger's 150g Rio Negro/Orinoco Flooded Rain Forest

FishForums.net Pet of the Month
🐶 POTM Poll is Open! 🦎 Click here to Vote! 🐰
Very nice work! Great selection of wood. I'm sure your patients are happy with the results. I used to work in health care. Well, still do, but administrative now. We used to have an aquarium in the lobby. When we installed it there was an immediate and obvious change of attitude and less anxiety in the lobby. It will pay for itself in smiles.

Very nice work! Great selection of wood. I'm sure your patients are happy with the results. I used to work in health care. Well, still do, but administrative now. We used to have an aquarium in the lobby. When we installed it there was an immediate and obvious change of attitude and less anxiety in the lobby. It will pay for itself in smiles.
Thanks! I'm not the dentist; I'm a music teacher. But I get paid to play with a 150 gallon aquarium. Pretty sweet deal!

Stunning. Great work Mr WB sir.
Are some of those branches aqua glued to the base of the tank (or Perspex sheet)? As some seem a bit tricky to keep upright? Or is there something keeping them aloft I’m not seeing?

Stunning. Great work Mr WB sir.
Are some of those branches aqua glued to the base of the tank (or Perspex sheet)? As some seem a bit tricky to keep upright? Or is there something keeping them aloft I’m not seeing?
Thank you!

I siliconed the branches to the bottom of the tank, but two of them broke loose when I filled the tank, so I had to wedge them in under the top braces. These are very old, very dry juniper wood, and juniper takes FOREVER (several years, sometimes) to lose its buoyancy. They also release a lot of tanin, which is good for the fish but not the look most people want. The good news is, it doesn't rot, either, and just takes on more and more character through the years. Maybe in a few years I'll tear down this build and sell the "driftwood" on ebay to finance the next one. :)

Aqua glue no use?

Im moving my Heterandria Formosa to a 58L….hmmm 15USG ?. I’m thinking of making a mini thousands of years old type standing stone, henge circle type decoration in the centre of the tank.
Stones to be aqua glued onto a piece of Perspex placed into the tank prior to the sand being added. Hopefully they’ll stay put.

Interesting!
Aqua glue no use?

Im moving my Heterandria Formosa to a 58L….hmmm 15USG ?. I’m thinking of making a mini thousands of years old type standing stone, henge circle type decoration in the centre of the tank.
Stones to be aqua glued onto a piece of Perspex placed into the tank prior to the sand being added. Hopefully they’ll stay put.
Do you have a sketch or something? When you say aqua glue, you mean fish-safe silicone, right? For stone attached to perspex, I'd probably use epoxy. It's much, much stronger.

The advantages of silicone are that it's flexible, which I thought would help as the wood became waterlogged and settled, and it can be removed with a razor blade, so when I tear apart this build years from now, I'll be able to scrape the bottom of the tank clean. The disadvantage, of course, is that wasn't strong enough to actually hold the logs down. ha ha :)

Interesting!

Do you have a sketch or something? When you say aqua glue, you mean fish-safe silicone, right? For stone attached to perspex, I'd probably use epoxy. It's much, much stronger.

The advantages of silicone are that it's flexible, which I thought would help as the wood became waterlogged and settled, and it can be removed with a razor blade, so when I tear apart this build years from now, I'll be able to scrape the bottom of the tank clean. The disadvantage, of course, is that wasn't strong enough to actually hold the logs down. ha ha :)
Seachem Flourish Glues what I was thinking of using. I was gonna check on here first though. Have you any recommendations for a fish safe silicon as that sounds a bit stronger? Does it come in a tube that fits into a silicon gun? I’m not sure what you call em over there!
Stones are 3-6” high and grey/black to match sand and background. Acquired a few weeks back from the river that provides @Essjay with her tap water!

Sorry for thread hijack!
edit: HA6 seems to be the most readily available on U.K. eBay. I’ve just ordered a tube. I’ll start a tank journal with all stages once my stuffs all ready.

Last edited:
Awesome!

So is the office paying for all of this?

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Back