Bad water

FishForums.net Pet of the Month
🐶 POTM Poll is Open! 🦎 Click here to Vote! 🐰

Jimmy74

Fish Fanatic
Reaction score
Chicago water tastes and smells disgusting. Should I give up fishkeeping or are there fish that can handle it? Or should I buy spring water for water changes? Oh yeah I tried letting it set for a day and two and still smells and taste the same.

Last edited:
Chicago water tastes and smells disgusting. Should I give up fishkeeping or are there fish that can handle it? Or should I buy spring water for water changes? Oh yeah I tried letting it set for a day and two and still smells and taste the same.
what do you drink? i’m assuming not the gross water. maybe give that to your fish.

Contact your water supply company and find out what is in it. Post the list of ingredients here. If the water is really bad, get a reverse osmosis (R/O) unit.

A good water conditioner makes no difference?

What water do you drink/cook with? When you say 'tastes and smells disgusting' are we speaking of chlorine/chloramine or something else?
RO or RO/DI water is an option, but you might likely be able to simply filter the water through a carbon filter to make it more than acceptable for partial water changes. (Easier and less expensive than re-mineralizing RO water.)

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Back