Bad place.....fishes cruelty

FishForums.net Pet of the Month
🐶 POTM Poll is Open! 🦎 Click here to Vote! 🐰

Barry Tetra

Fish Aficionado
Pet of the Month 🎖️
Reaction score
I went to Bangkok animal market and this is what I found.....pure animal cruelty

they even have thousand blood parrots in 60 gal tank, they put
F9F1AADE-3BC1-464E-BB3C-5E7BD70EA521.jpeg

5475B069-D924-43FC-AEFD-07866AD929D8.jpeg
5633651E-5364-4052-B17E-02F13B9E2DFA.jpeg
8553AC7A-4805-4216-BB6C-82B6BB496B5F.jpeg
8553AC7A-4805-4216-BB6C-82B6BB496B5F.jpeg
A80A87FE-9157-43C2-A347-06333814D825.jpeg
A80A87FE-9157-43C2-A347-06333814D825.jpeg

Attachments

• E5810EE9-B666-4940-839B-2B05B6528DF7.jpeg
    E5810EE9-B666-4940-839B-2B05B6528DF7.jpeg
    48.3 KB · Views: 90
The water looks clean and they aren't packed as heavily as fish that get shipped around the world.

It comes down to practicalities. They need to put as many fish in each bag as possible to maximise fish and reduce weight and space that it takes up. Having said that, in a perfect world the fish would have more space and water but this isn't a perfect world and this is the accepted way of transporting most fish.

I used to pack 10 rainbowfish (about 2 inches long) in a medium size fish bag with about 1 litre of water. They were in that for an hour or two before getting put in a shop tank.

The water looks clean and they aren't packed as heavily as fish that get shipped around the world.

It comes down to practicalities. They need to put as many fish in each bag as possible to maximise fish and reduce weight and space that it takes up. Having said that, in a perfect world the fish would have more space and water but this isn't a perfect world and this is the accepted way of transporting most fish.

I used to pack 10 rainbowfish (about 2 inches long) in a medium size fish bag with about 1 litre of water. They were in that for an hour or two before getting put in a shop tank.
But there are only 0.5 inches of water in the bucket with goldfish laying on the side because of water

I think it's awful...

I saw a listing on LetGo, and it was a person selling a 13 inch Gar in a 30 gallon tank. That is WAY to small for that fish. It will out grow very fast.

I also saw a 10 gallon tank, with 11 gold fish in it. The Goldfish had barely has any room to swim! :(

You used to be able to 'win' goldfish at funfairs in the uk but they banned that 20-30 years ago
I don't think they have been totally banned - I can't find anything about a UK wide total ban. Children under 16 cannot be given goldfish as prizes and local councils can ban them in their area but that's all.

My then teenaged sons won goldfish in the mid 1990s by throwing darts. Guess who had to look after them. 9 months later they were given to someone with a pond, I got a heater and started keeping tropical fish.

I don't think they have been totally banned - I can't find anything about a UK wide total ban. Children under 16 cannot be given goldfish as prizes and local councils can ban them in their area but that's all.

My then teenaged sons won goldfish in the mid 1990s by throwing darts. Guess who had to look after them. 9 months later they were given to someone with a pond, I got a heater and started keeping tropical fish.
I remember when I was around 4, I won a gold fish at a fair. Now, at this point, I had no access to the internet, so I didn’t know the proper care for them.

We kept 2 in a 1 gallon terrarium, with no heater, filter, or light.

My mom accidentally ended up killing them with tap water, instead of de chlorinated water.

It was a learning moment, but I still cringe over it... :/

My sons won 2 each. They arrived home with them in bags. The poor things spent their first night in our house in a large kitchen mixing bowl in undechlorinated water. Amazingly, 3 of them made it to the following day. After my husband finished work we went to Pets at Home (the only place open late) and bought 3 of those plastic critter carriers, followed a couple of weeks later by a 60 litre (16 gallon) tank. Since I had fish before I had a tank, I had no option but to do a fish-in cycle. There were no bacterial starters and no internet back then, I had to rely on out of date books in the library which didn't mention the word cycling.

LOL, I had a goldfish in a bowl that I presume was about 2 gallons. Had it several years. We had alarge heated tropical fish tank for many years, it had angel fish, loaches, all sorts, wasnt over stocked.

When I was younger, I had a neighbor who had 3 goldfish that she won at a fair. They were in a 5 gallon tank. At the time, I didn't realize how bad that was. Now though, I feel really sorry for those poor fish. I doubt they lived very long.

You used to be able to 'win' goldfish at funfairs in the uk but they banned that 20-30 years ago

Unfortunately, using goldfish and other types of fish to offer as prizes at fairs and carnivals is not illegal in the U.K. Although frowned upon there is nothing stopping people from giving them away as prizes, it's sad and heartbreaking but unfortunately thats the truth of it. As Essjay mentioned earlier, local councils can choose to prohibit this cruelty, though sadly, most don't (from my personal experience).

I'd say about 4-5 years ago, there was a fair in my small town. Prizes ranged from bouncy balls, teddy bears and of course... goldfish. Some attractions didn't even care if you won or lost, they'd hand you a fish just for paying your entry to that stall. Though I remember seeing a metal bin there which was used to house all the ones that had passed away. It was horrible seeing a bin of that size almost full with dead fish, all dying for no reason.

As for this "fish store" in Bangkok, the only thing I can say is that it it sickens me. It's high-time people stopped seeing fish as decoration items, trinkets or objects and started seeing them as what they are.... a living being. Some of us call them pets and treat them to our best abilities, others call them a hobby and try to home many doing their best to replicate their natural habitat, doesn't matter which you are they both understand that they have a life in their hands and they need to give it time energy and most of all care. I fully understand sometimes there just isn't any other practical means of transporting them, but, if you have a store you should at least give them the care they deserve until they find an owner and not stuff them in tiny plastic bags to sit there all day (and who knows possibly all night).

I'm sorry for the little rant, I'm just a softy, I can't bare to see any animal in pain or discomfort.

Most reactions

trending

Back