Bad place.....fishes cruelty

April FOTM Photo Contest Starts Now!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to enter! 🏆

I think it's awful...

I saw a listing on LetGo, and it was a person selling a 13 inch Gar in a 30 gallon tank. That is WAY to small for that fish. It will out grow very fast.

I also saw a 10 gallon tank, with 11 gold fish in it. The Goldfish had barely has any room to swim! :(
Yup a 13" gar in a 30 gal is not the way to go...but hey who hasn't made the mistake of buying a without proper knowledge....At a local LFS I've seen baby fish for sale that would not be suitable as they grew up...Again not everybody is a FishNerd. And this is not restricted to Fish Keeping...how many people bought cute puppies only to learn later that the cutie puppy grew up to be a giant Mastiff....

What a interesting thread...but I gotta wonder with all this voicing of opinions some reasoned and some not so reasoned...what are we willing to do to about about cruelty?. How many of us are in a position to rescue that 13" gar. Maybe as passionate Fish Nerds we need to do a better job of educating those who are think about fish keeping. Maybe we need to be patronizing those LFS that are decent and correct...to each his own. But again I like the sharing of opinions that I find on this forum. cheers...

What a interesting thread...but I gotta wonder with all this voicing of opinions some reasoned and some not so reasoned...what are we willing to do to about about cruelty?. How many of us are in a position to rescue that 13" gar. Maybe as passionate Fish Nerds we need to do a better job of educating those who are think about fish keeping. Maybe we need to be patronizing those LFS that are decent and correct...to each his own. But again I like the sharing of opinions that I find on this forum. cheers...
Agree with you, all we need to do is to educate those who is a beginner but some of them are quite frustating, especially my friend who have a big lungfish in 16 gal tank and don’t listen to anyone other than himself.

Believe me, if I had the room, I would rescue it in a heart beat, but sadly, I don't. :(

Believe me, if I had the room, I would rescue it in a heart beat, but sadly, I don't. :(
Yup that's often the case but it get's bad when we lust after those >100 g tanks....as a fish nerd who doesn't lust after a 200 gal or larger after we satisfy the 100 g itch. On a lighter side of things "monster fish" like gars and sturgeons can become a last ditch meal, especial after the Trump Zombie Apocalypse LOL.

Most reactions

Back