Bad Fish Day

FishForums.net Pet of the Month
🐶 POTM Poll is Open! 🦎 Click here to Vote! 🐰

Blobfish

Fish Crazy
Reaction score
So, this morning I found a dead neon tetra in one tank (not entirely unexpected), a dead medaka in another tank (definitely unexpected) and to top it off, one of my oscars has damaged himself quite badly.  Should heal up OK but quite a mess :(

On the other hand, the seven corydoras and four whiptails I ordered turned up, all present and correct, so not all bad.

Thanks both.  The Oscar should be fine, he has had a large water change today - it was due anyway but I took out a bit more than usual and added some Melafix.  He's always been the more flighty of the two I have and this isn't the first time he's injured himself.  Hopefully it will be the last!

I think I might have some insight into the medaka death too, the biggest male was having a serious fight with one of the other mature males this evening.  First time I've ever seen any real aggression in the medaka, they display to each other but it never goes beyond that until now.

Tongue_Flicker said:
How did your oscar injure himself?
biggrin.png

I don't know exactly, it happened over night but I would guess because he's damaged the top of his head, he perhaps spotted a stray food pellet at the surface and went for it a bit too enthusiastically, hit himself on the top of the tank and then bolted and did the rest of the damage to his side on the rocks.  I wondered about taking the rocks out of his tank but he managed to injure himself when he had a bare tank too, so I'm going to leave them.

Try lowering your water level then? From my experience, a 4-inch oscar can jump 3-4 inches up the water surface with precision. How long is your oscar?

Tongue_Flicker said:
Try lowering your water level then? From my experience, a 4-inch oscar can jump 3-4 inches up the water surface with precision. How long is your oscar?

He's about 13" now.

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Back