Bacterial Starter - Please Help A.s.a.p

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

betta_luvr

Fish Fanatic
Reaction score
Due to unforseen circumstances - I got my fish before the tank, due to my dad. =/ As most of you know.
As a bacterial starter - Would some gravel from one of my fish bowls help?

Many thanks

Due to unforseen circumstances - I got my fish before the tank, due to my dad. =/ As most of you know.

Many thanks

Hi
Gravel or other substrate from an established tank would help a bit yes. However, its the filter media that cycles the bacteria. If you have no other choice, through circumstances, then put the used gravel in but you will have to monitor the ammonia and nitrIte levels and do regular water changes.
I think you said on another thread what tank you have now got, but could you remind me - Size, is it filtered etc..

Cheers

I think there's something like Bio-Spira over in the UK isn't there? Bactinnites(sp?) or something like that, that is supposed to insta-cycle the tank.

Many thanks

in a word NO! well from the experiences of members of different forums around the world, it has little or no effect. it does however create income for the LFS. do a normal cycle, or if you can, get hold of some mature media that would help massively. the only "boosters" that seems to work for starting the cycle,a re the live ones. theses need kept in a fridge and have a limited life span, even then not all people find they work.
rough rule: if its in a packet/bottle and does not need refrigeration, its probably junk. if it is packed in the same way but needs a fridge, its possible it may help.

I think there's something like Bio-Spira over in the UK isn't there? Bactinnites(sp?) or something like that, that is supposed to insta-cycle the tank.
tetra aqua's SafeStart, buy some of that, it's worked wonders for me before!

The tank's 3.97 Gallons (15L) it has a filter, but no heater as of yet. =/ It came with gravel and such and I've added my plant as said before. Seeing as I have a gorgeous little Betta in tow, I want to do the best for him as possible, as quickly as possible. I've set up my tank, I think I should put up some pictures for some more advice.

As Betta's need "hiding" places, and in a 15L, let's face it, they're limited, I have a ceramic white pot thing which is quite large, shall I lay that on its side at the bottom of the tank?

as long as it wont roll and crush him its ok..bettas are like small kids...they get into everything.

Many thanks

in a word NO! well from the experiences of members of different forums around the world, it has little or no effect. it does however create income for the LFS. do a normal cycle, or if you can, get hold of some mature media that would help massively. the only "boosters" that seems to work for starting the cycle,a re the live ones. theses need kept in a fridge and have a limited life span, even then not all people find they work.
rough rule: if its in a packet/bottle and does not need refrigeration, its probably junk. if it is packed in the same way but needs a fridge, its possible it may help.

Hi. Did you mean to quote the other post about Bio-starter?

Many thanks

Hi. Did you mean to quote the other post about Bio-starter?

lol yes and no. few if any of these kits work! ignore them and do the cycle as suggested on any fish site. the gravel itself will be no real use. but the concentrated liquid found at the bottom of a well maintained tank, could well be a real help if you pour it into your filter media. it depends on how you keep your tank. some of us use the substrate as part of our bio area. this tends to full full of both bacteria. you will still need to cycle the tank though, it just may make it quicker.

As its a betta i would just put him in the tank and do regular partial water changes until the filter pics up. Most of my Bettas are unfiltered all of the time and have lived that way for a long time, still active, vibrent etc so i wouldn't panic about it.

yeah but as you currently have your betta in a large margerine tub, i'd be inclined to skip the cycle and get the tank set up and get him into it. it would mean lots of regular water changes for a longer time period than most cycles take, but seeing as many people don't even use filters on betta tanks you should be able to get away with it fine.

bactinettes(sp) can be used to speed up the first part of the cycle, but they only contain the type of bacteria that converts ammonia to nitrite, not the one to convert nitrite to nitrate so you still need to cycle even if you do use it. if you do decide to go for this, it must come from a fridge, not just on a shelf.

hope that helps (and makes sense :lol: )

edit: lol devon, we keep following each other round these posts!

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Back