Bacteria bloom

FishForums.net Pet of the Month
🐶 POTM Poll is Open! 🦎 Click here to Vote! 🐰

Carp890

Fish Fanatic
Reaction score
Posted this once gone missing? Try again.
150ltr tank,
9 months old, water peramiter good, nitrate a bit high as always carry out weekly maintenance.
For about 3 weeks now when my lights come on the water is clear but then goes milky white not bad but not nice, it does clear a bit. I did a water change 30% but I think that fead the bacteria. What can I do to get rid of the bloom, I have turned my lights right down now seems clear, any help please.

Same happened to me at some point, what I did to stop it was to turn the lights off and stop feeding the fish for 2-3 days, and it worked.
But am still quite new to the hobby so I'd wait for more expert advice.

Picture of the tank with cloudy water?
What colour is the cloudy water, white or green?

Green cloudy water is an algal bloom and can normally be fixed by reducing light, adding live plants and doing big (75%) daily water changes for a week.

Milky cloudy water is a bacterial bloom and is common in newly set up tanks that get too much dry food. A big (75%) water change and gravel clean usually fixes the problem.

Picture of the tank with cloudy water?
What colour is the cloudy water, white or green?

Green cloudy water is an algal bloom and can normally be fixed by reducing light, adding live plants and doing big (75%) daily water changes for a week.

Milky cloudy water is a bacterial bloom and is common in newly set up tanks that get too much dry food. A big (75%) water change and gravel clean usually fixes the problem.
It seems to be milky white, 99%sure its light related, it's clear until the lights come on yes I do over feed the fish I think, won't a water change fuel the bloom. Leaving lights down for a few days see what happens

It seems to be milky white, 99%sure its light related, it's clear until the lights come on yes I do over feed the fish I think, won't a water change fuel the bloom. Leaving lights down for a few days see what happens
If you believe that you are feeding too much/too often, stop feeding the fish for 3 or 4 days, do daily 75% water changes along with substrate hoovering for the next 5-7 days

The food excess is causing the bloom (due to it being sat rotting on the substrate and in the water) and by removing the excess from the substrate and changing the water in larger volumes daily whilst fasting the fish, the cause of the bloom will disperse. Bacterial bloom can take a couple of weeks to totally go

Fish do not need to be fed every day, they can go for a couple of weeks without food quite happily. Cut the amount you are normally giving them, fast them 2-3 days a week routinely once the bloom is dispersed.

Most reactions

trending

Members online

Back