Bacteria Bloom

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

Platy lover

Fishaholic
Reaction score
i changed my filter a week ago and there is a HUGE bacteria bloom. It is obstructing the view of my aquarium, when will it go away?

do you mean you changed your filter cartridge or changed your filter all together? If ya changed the cartridge I cannot see why it would cause a bloom. My wifes tank gets them from time to time if i do not change the cartridge ocasionaly since it is such an over populated tank. If you changed the filter all together you just restarted cycleing and your arms are going to hurt from water changes and water tests :( I am hoping the prior and its somthing that someone else with more experience then me can work out.

do you mean you changed your filter cartridge or changed your filter all together? If ya changed the cartridge I cannot see why it would cause a bloom. My wifes tank gets them from time to time if i do not change the cartridge ocasionaly since it is such an over populated tank. If you changed the filter all together you just restarted cycleing and your arms are going to hurt from water changes and water tests :( I am hoping the prior and its somthing that someone else with more experience then me can work out.
I changed the filter all together and lost 10 fish in a week.

i changed my filter a week ago and there is a HUGE bacteria bloom. It is obstructing the view of my aquarium, when will it go away?
hi; I must de-reccomend internal power filters.IE Interpet pf2 been aquarium-ing since 1977, under-gravel filters are tried and tested. I never had a bacteria bloom in all those years. and yet, after setting up an extra tank 64 ltr i had a nasty bloom in one week. the pf2 comes with 2 wafer thin sponges,no good for the this size tank. and unless you put in a power filter with a sponge container the size of the empire state building..i'm afraid they just wont cut it. even after using copious amounts of tank-start, all i ended up with was a mass of 'mulm' that sticks to the glass-pump-plants-and just about everything underwater . so for me..its undergravel filters every time, only regular water changes and a little hoover around the bed once a week or fortnight and you're done.

Yeah when you swapped the filter out all your good bacteria went with the old one. So your essentially in an all new cycle. Not sure how much ya know about cycles but reading here
http://www.fishforums.net/index.php?/topic/277264-beginners-resource-center/

can help a lot. Try not to feel to bad how ever fish keeping has a harsh learning curve and every body has hiccups in the start. Once ya get the hyang of it its an extreamly rewarding hobby so dont give up. :)

Yeah when you swapped the filter out all your good bacteria went with the old one. So your essentially in an all new cycle. Not sure how much ya know about cycles but reading here
http://www.fishforums.net/index.php?/topic/277264-beginners-resource-center/

can help a lot. Try not to feel to bad how ever fish keeping has a harsh learning curve and every body has hiccups in the start. Once ya get the hyang of it its an extreamly rewarding hobby so dont give up. :)
I had the aquarium since September and this is the first time I lost 10 fish in a week. I feel like a failure even though I managed to keep alive a crowntail betta who has fin rot alive for over a year

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Back