Backgrounds

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

karawr

Fishaholic
Reaction score
Just bought a 120g and I really want to put a black background on.

I just feel a little iffy about painting a brand new $400 aquarium black.

If you were in my position, would you paint your aquarium or buy a black background?

I had the same thought. paid £550 for mine. Painted the back in black gloss (externally) looks great, so yes go for it IMO.

If you dont want to paint it I used the cheap black weed control for gardens
About £4 a roll and lasts for ages just cut to size
Gives it a matt finish though but looks nice ;)

I got a plain black background from my lfs for my new tank and I'm really happy with it.

All I did was moisten the exterior glass and position the background, stick it with cellotape in all four corners and then blow into the gap between background and glass until it dried. No streaks, no air bubbles and I think it looks fantastic.

May sound a dumb question but why black?

The theory is to hide the filter, heater & anything else that you don't see in nature. I'm a rebel, I got a blue one :cool:

To answer the thread question, no I wouldn't paint it black, I'd just add a black background. This way you can change it if you want to change the look.

I would not use a background! I love the look of a tank open on all 4 sides, makes your fish look like theyre flying!

I disagree. The look of wires, heaters, etc. just takes away from it.

Ah, ok then. Mine is a typical leafy looking background with a bit of blue sea. In the shop the fish are in blue cubes and i think they look brighter than they do in my tank , so i assumed a brighter background would make fish look brighter thats why i couldnt understand black backgrounds. But i guess they would disguise things better :good:

I just added black backgrounds to my tanks. I used a removable background though, rather than paint it, because I want the luxury of being able to change to background. I can honestly say it made a huge difference in the way the tank looks. I say def. go for a background, but if your flighty and like to chnage things frequently, then I would buy a background that is removable, rather than paint the back of the tank black.

I have a 2foot by 1foot tank. I found a black 2foot by 1foot 3-ring binder and used that as a backround

Just a suggestion.... I'm a quilter so my first thought is always fabric.... I have been using different fabrics and putting little Velcro squares in the four back corners of my aquariums {which is sticky back and easily removed} then I can just Velcro a different fabric on whenever I want. The Velcro with a sticky back only costs a dollar or two and depending on your tanks size..you only need a yard or two cut to the size of your tank. Basic black is pretty...I found satins on sale for $2 a yard so I use a black satin or a blue satin sometimes....reallly neat effect with the shimmer from the light. It isn't too crazy for the fish though. Solid colors are awesome too..

Just a suggestion.... I'm a quilter so my first thought is always fabric.... I have been using different fabrics and putting little Velcro squares in the four back corners of my aquariums {which is sticky back and easily removed} then I can just Velcro a different fabric on whenever I want. The Velcro with a sticky back only costs a dollar or two and depending on your tanks size..you only need a yard or two cut to the size of your tank. Basic black is pretty...I found satins on sale for $2 a yard so I use a black satin or a blue satin sometimes....reallly neat effect with the shimmer from the light. It isn't too crazy for the fish though. Solid colors are awesome too..
I actually really like this idea, very cheap alternative.

Thanks for the replies everyone. :good:

Most reactions

Back