Backgrounds! Very Recent Newbie Needing More Advice!

FishForums.net Pet of the Month
🐶 POTM Poll is Open! 🦎 Click here to Vote! 🐰

iceblueangel

Reaction score
Hi everyone, I will be getting my first ever tropical FW tank in approx. 10 days! I have already received some fantastic advice from members so am hoping for a little bit more. What sort of background do you think looks best and most natural? I have looked around and quite like one that looks like a big tree root but am not sure whether or not it would make the tank look more narrow if you know what I mean. Do the poster type backgrounds look best or do they look really fake? Any opinions gratefully received.

Personally, I use black posterboard from walmart to get a nice look on my tank. I'm very fond of black backgrounds.

I've heard black backgrounds really make the plants and fish stand out, and have seen lots of lovely looking tanks with that.
I personally have an Asian bridge sort of background and I really love it :)

SamB said:
Personally, I use black posterboard from walmart to get a nice look on my tank. I'm very fond of black backgrounds.
Thank you Sam, I like the sound of the black background, how do you attach it without being able to see the "attachments"? 
Ninjouzata said:
I've heard black backgrounds really make the plants and fish stand out, and have seen lots of lovely looking tanks with that.
I personally have an Asian bridge sort of background and I really love it
smile.png
Hi Ninjouzata, Is your Asian bridge on a poster type background or do you actually have a bridge ornament at the back of your tank? 

iceblueangel said:
Thank you Sam, I like the sound of the black background, how do you attach it without being able to see the "attachments"? 

I have a hang on the back filter on my tanks that the background slides nicely behind. it stays very tight behind there. I also use tape to attach it to the top and bottom of the tank, where it stays invisible. That's worked for me so far!

I'd say personally it depends on what fish ur planning to get! If ur getting nice bright coloured fish go with a darker background like black or a dark brown rockery effect background or for dark coloured fish u can get nice light coloured backgrounds like white ccobbles which look great with tree roots etc for a more natural look!

Well i like black ones as far as just plain backgrounds go. But i think the most natural and stunning backgrounds are diy 3d backgrounds although they can be quite time comsuming the results are splended!

HHH said:
Well i like black ones as far as just plain backgrounds go. But i think the most natural and stunning backgrounds are diy 3d backgrounds although they can be quite time comsuming the results are splended!
Hi HHH, What is a 3D background, I am brand new to fish keeping so lots of terms used are like another language to me, sorry!!! Do you mean the background is not flat, I mean like rocks, etc. that actually stick out or is there some type of background which actually has a 3D effect? Sorry again for being easily confused 
sad2.gif

Thanks everyone for your advice.

Most reactions

trending

Members online

Back