Background

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

enchanted

Fish Herder
Reaction score
Well, I almost spent $15.00 at Petsmart on a background, but decided not to. On my way home I stopped by a paint shop, had a talk with them, and picked up a $1.91 can of spray paint.

I haven't used a 1/16th of the can and I'm on the first coat, but take a look at this! :)

http://www.fishforums.net/index.php?act=ST&f=22&t=68270

I paint the back, and depending on the location, the sides, with a couple of coats of blackboard paint.

What is Blackboard paint? I had been thinking about this for a while and stopped into a paintshop on my way home from Petsmart the other day. After a talk with the owner (small store :) ) I picked up a $1.91 (after tax) can of spray paint she recommended. So far it is working great. :)

looking good!

When you are spray painting do you just cover the tank with a towel or something so it doesn't get inside?

good luck with the fish... I really wouldnt have contemplated spray painting the back while the fish are in there!

I hope it workd out :crazy:

(P.S. It looks great though - we've used blue gloss on ours and it gives a great finish)

No problem with the fish 24 hours.

As for something over the top, I have a few gaps you can't see right near the top because I didn't spray over the top rim.

Keep us updated. I would like to know how they are doing in a week or so. If they are doing dandy then I would be more confident painting my living room. :)

Blackboard paint is black paint used for, (non aquatically), turning pieces of wood into blackboards, things school teachers used to write on with chalk when I was a kid. Goodness, do they not use blackboards anymore?

<fx> wanders away muttering about the youth of today, the price of things, and the distance to the toilet </fx>

I'm not that old, but while I was in school all the "Chalkboards" went away and were replacement with the marker boards. By the time I graduated highschool I don't think any classroom had a blackboard.

As for painting the living room we are talking different kinds of paint and different areas.

I painted a 6' x 21" area and did it in stages over a 3 hour period in order to avoid a build up of fumes, which would affect me as well as the fish.

The area of a living room is a lot larger, it is a different paint, and will require multiple coats to be done correct. I would recommend moving the fish to a different room for that much painting.

enchanted said:
As for painting the living room we are talking different kinds of paint and different areas.

I painted a 6' x 21" area and did it in stages over a 3 hour period in order to avoid a build up of fumes, which would affect me as well as the fish.

The area of a living room is a lot larger, it is a different paint, and will require multiple coats to be done correct. I would recommend moving the fish to a different room for that much painting.
That's what I was thinking as well, so it doesn't look life my living room will be painted any time soon. There are spray paints that are water based as well so that is less toxic than lacquer based paints and the like. I’ve spray painted indoors b4 but never such a small surface. How many hours did it take for the smell to dissipate?

It was completely clear within 15 minutes after I finished.

Most reactions

trending

Members online

Back