Background Input...

FishForums.net Pet of the Month
🐶 POTM Poll is Open! 🦎 Click here to Vote! 🐰

CassCats

Fish Aficionado
Pet of the Month 🎖️
Fish of the Month 🌟
Reaction score
Blackwater betta tank. What background is best?

Black
20200421_133358.jpg

Brown
20200421_134258(0).jpg

White
20200421_133615.jpg

Black or brown. Brown the tank looks bigger, but black makes the colors pop

You should remove the big rocks because they trap food and this can cause water quality problems.

The black to me makes the entire tank stand out clearer. The water looks clear. Fish colours are better.

It was interesting that when I opened this thread and saw the black photo first (without seeing the others on the screen) I wondered to myself if dark brown would add anything given the blackwater theme...then I scrolled down and saw the brown, and realized what a mistaken thought that was!

The light may have a bearing...it seems bright.

I normally go with black..... But for a blackwater tank....I'm not too sure.

Would a dark blue look weird? I my opinion, dark blue or black are normally the only way to go.

I normally go with black..... But for a blackwater tank....I'm not too sure.

Would a dark blue look weird? I my opinion, dark blue or black are normally the only way to go.
I had dark blue, I liked it :)

So far its been leaning towards black.

And @Colin_T got rocks in every tank. A good vacuum each week takes care of it. The same statement could be said about plant roots and leaves trapping debris. Easier to vacuum between rocks and driftwood than it is to suck up your plants through the siphon ;)

Plus, given that i only have the single betta in the tank with some ramshorn snails, my bettas are target fed a very small amount each morning. No food is wasted. Each of my bettas only get 4-5 pellets daily or 3-4 mysis shrimp and are fed by hand to ensure they get their food. Any plant debris is cleaned up by the ramshorns. Everything else gets vacuumed out.

Also given this tank's size, it gets 95% water changes and vacuums each week. Water quality is in check.

USER_SCOPED_TEMP_DATA_MSGR_PHOTO_FOR_UPLOAD_1587573099155.jpeg

:good:

I was going to recommend a few more plants;)
Im waiting for the hornwort to fill in more, theyre small clippings. I want it to form a floating cover like a curtain. I had it totally covered in salvinia auriculata but it blocked water movement. So i have a smaller portion of it contained now.

Blackwater environments dont have much plants anyways. So i want to keep it relatively minimal but effective so sticking with hornwort since its good in any light, versatile, and is a nitrate sponge. I have anacharis too, but not in this tank. My anacharis grows thinner so i dont like the appearance in a small tank for it

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Back