Back to fish-keeping, after 50 years!

FishForums.net Pet of the Month
🐶 POTM Poll is Open! 🦎 Click here to Vote! 🐰

kennethsross

Reaction score
Just want to introduce myself. As a youngster, my parents had a tropical tank, probably about 30" x 15" x 18". I don't recall us having any particularly great success with it. I don't think there were ever all that many water changes to speak of, and in the end, it was sold. Fast forward 50 years and I've had a hankering for a while to establish a tank. I picked up a little Fluval Edge from someone just around the corner, but when I discovered how few fish it could reasonably accommodate, I never actually set it up.

Today, I brought home a Tetra 105 litre Starter aquarium, from our local 'Argos in Sainsburys'. It may well be January before I get the chance to set it up, but I'm sure I'll be returning to this forum frequently for advice.

Just want to introduce myself. As a youngster, my parents had a tropical tank, probably about 30" x 15" x 18". I don't recall us having any particularly great success with it. I don't think there were ever all that many water changes to speak of, and in the end, it was sold. Fast forward 50 years and I've had a hankering for a while to establish a tank. I picked up a little Fluval Edge from someone just around the corner, but when I discovered how few fish it could reasonably accommodate, I never actually set it up.

Today, I brought home a Tetra 105 litre Starter aquarium, from our local 'Argos in Sainsburys'. It may well be January before I get the chance to set it up, but I'm sure I'll be returning to this forum frequently for advice.
Welcome to TFF, and back to the hobby

3457FDCA-4275-4DEE-BEB9-C28FD07FCC8D.jpeg

Welcome! Look forward to seeing the tank when it's set up and running 👍

Welcome back to the hobby. No matter how long someone stays away from the hobby, the temptation to return is always there! :lol:

I have had a Fluval edge, nice looking tank and the filter is actually half decent but you are correct in saying the type and number of fish can be kept in those types of tanks can be limiting, a tank with its own kind of issues but nice enough when you know it’s shortcomings and limitations.

But the Tetra 105 is not a bad choice to get back into the hobby with, Tetra brand is half decent imho and you can always upgrade the light and filter later down the line if you want to do, not bad at all.

Well, good luck with it all and we will be happy to advise you when you are ready and willing to do your homework to get started.

Welcome.
50 yrs is a big gap. I returned last year after 22yrs and things have changed. A lot.
Generally accepted advice on here is to look up your water supplies PH and GH on your suppliers website in numbers and keep fish that come from similar water in the wild. The numbers listed may be in a few formats but there’s people on here will help you translate them into errrh errrh English;).
I think most water in Scotland is soft but that May not be the case everywhere.

Theres a website named seriouslyfish.com that is probably the best reference point for fish and their requirements available. Just enter the fish name into the search box and with one extra click it’ll bring up a pages worth of info on them. Water requirements, water temp, min tank size, tank mates, food, breeding etc etc.
Once you figure out your way around it then you’re in a far stronger starting position than anyone was 50yrs ago.

Welcome.
50 yrs is a big gap. I returned last year after 22yrs and things have changed. A lot.
Generally accepted advice on here is to look up your water supplies PH and GH on your suppliers website in numbers and keep fish that come from similar water in the wild. The numbers listed may be in a few formats but there’s people on here will help you translate them into errrh errrh English;).
I think most water in Scotland is soft but that May not be the case everywhere.

Theres a website named seriouslyfish.com that is probably the best reference point for fish and their requirements available. Just enter the fish name into the search box and with one extra click it’ll bring up a pages worth of info on them. Water requirements, water temp, min tank size, tank mates, food, breeding etc etc.
Once you figure out your way around it then you’re in a far stronger starting position than anyone was 50yrs ago.
Thanks for these comments. I'll check out that site. Yes, things have changed. As far as I remember, my dad never thought about chemistry, or cycling, or any of the things that I'm reading about now. It's probably a wonder that they actually were able to keep fish alive at all!

Yes, we have very, very soft water, but I'll be sure to check it all out, and work through the steps.

Thanks again.

Welcome back to the hobby. No matter how long someone stays away from the hobby, the temptation to return is always there! :lol:

I have had a Fluval edge, nice looking tank and the filter is actually half decent but you are correct in saying the type and number of fish can be kept in those types of tanks can be limiting, a tank with its own kind of issues but nice enough when you know it’s shortcomings and limitations.

But the Tetra 105 is not a bad choice to get back into the hobby with, Tetra brand is half decent imho and you can always upgrade the light and filter later down the line if you want to do, not bad at all.

Well, good luck with it all and we will be happy to advise you when you are ready and willing to do your homework to get started.
Thanks again for your comments. I look forward to making a start, and going step-by-step through the process of establishing an aquarium

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Members online

Back