Back to buckets?!?

Naughts

Fish Aficionado
Reaction score
Many fish keepers start off with a small tank and use buckets to drain and refill for water changes.
As we get more into the hobby with more tanks and bigger tanks we might use a hose/ Python for the job.

Due to drought many parts of the UK and places across Europe are putting water saving restrictions in place including hose pipe bans.
The finer detail states fines up to £1000 for using a hose pipe OR anything that attaches to an outside tap.

Has anyone reverted to using buckets for water changes? Is anyone considering this?

Personally I don’t think I use any more water with a hose than buckets so it will be annoying to go back to buckets, I also reuse tank water on plants. But I definitely wouldn’t want a £1000 fine 😩

I would expect an inside the house hose would be fine. Draw the curtains, turn off the lights, put on camo and face paint - but don't use the python or aqueon draining attachment as it does waste water. Gravity will do.

The reason for the rule seems sensible as can be, but using an inside hose for the small amount of water an aquarium water change uses is such an uncommon thing that no one probably thought about it.

Thanks Gary, I totally agree with your sentiment and logic.
Just have a niggling feeling that the law enforcer might not care and say ‘a hose is a hose’ and give a fine. Maybe I’m overthinking it.

Your stealth tactics made me laugh. Maybe I should only do water changes at 3am too 😂

Thanks Gary, I totally agree with your sentiment and logic.
Just have a niggling feeling that the law enforcer might not care and say ‘a hose is a hose’ and give a fine. Maybe I’m overthinking it.

Your stealth tactics made me laugh. Maybe I should only do water changes at 3am too 😂
3:27 AM. Train the dogs to ballet dance in the kitchen on command as a distraction. Purchase doughnuts to throw and keep snoopers busy.

I support measures like that in a drought situation - don't get me wrong. But there are hoses to my washing machine, so hoses aren't an issue. I imagine it's the old selfish lawn crew that are aimed at. 5 gallons in a water change, via hose or bucket is still a small quantity.

I have a jug out back that was empty last night and has 7 inches of water in it this morning, so we aren't in a drought here.

When they say no hoses here, they mean no garden hoses watering lawns. Using a garden hose to fill a fish tank for a required water change to stop the fish dying, is normally acceptable.

If in doubt, call the water company and ask if you can still do water changes on your fish tank. Don't give them your real name or number unless they have to call you back. then give them a false name and make sure you answer the phone.

The water companies have some nerve trying to bring a hosepipe ban in when it is a fact that a QUARTER of all water wastage is down to leaks throughout the grid system. Leaks which they are 100% responsible for!!! They're a bunch of hypocrites.

How do they know you have fish tanks anyway? How do they know you use an internal hose to do water changes on said fish tanks? Do they send round some kind of aquarium police round knocking on your door? Lol.

Carry on my friend, I know I will be doing.

e water companies have some nerve trying to bring a hosepipe ban in when it is a fact that a QUARTER of all water wastage is down to leaks throughout the grid system. Leaks which they are 100% responsible for!!! They're a bunch of hypocrites.
I know right! They really need to get their act together and learn he meaning of accountability.
How do they know you have fish tanks anyway? How do they know you use an internal hose to do water changes on said fish tanks? Do they send round some kind of aquarium police round knocking on your door? Lol.
Depends on the neighbours and how much I've annoyed them lately!

Also if you think they are looking for people that use a hose to do WC on fish tanks, don't post in online forums stating that you are using hoses for your WC. :lol:

I support measures like that in a drought situation
Me too...it's a small inconvenience when you think about the farmers losing their crops and euthanising their animals 'cos there's no feed - best scenario is the food shop costs more, worst scenario they lose their livelihoods and this tiny island is more reliant on others (say Russia for example) for imports.

Then there are the fire fighters are dealing with more fires with less water...:no:

Edit:missing letter added

Last edited:
I've lost most of my lawn due to water restrictions here in the Northeast US and other parts of US too.

I find a ghillie suit made from mattress and chair cushion tags works best for domestic camo .
So it's really quite simple, I get up in the middle of the night, dress in camouflage clothes with camo face paint, set the dogs up doing ballet dancing, draw the curtains and turn out the lights, then perform a water change in the pitch dark whilst wearing an armchair and throwing doughnuts!

Don't know why I didn't think of this! 🤨 Thanks guys🏆 I have a plan now! :banana:

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Back