Back to black

FishForums.net Pet of the Month
🐶 POTM Poll is Open! 🦎 Click here to Vote! 🐰
I'm going to guess at nana. When I redid the tank 3 1/2 years ago I used to divide it regularly and glue the new bits to an empty spot on the wood, its actually lots of plants rather than one big one. It does grow much faster when newly cut. Be warned this is a super low light tank and there is some healthy BBA on some of the leaves. Never bothered trying to clean them because it is quite a low level and there is no BBA anywhere else in the tank. As you can see on the spray bar and HOB there is some algae in the tank but not enough that I have ever needed to do anything about it. Been really lucky with the balance in this tank, I probably only wipe the glass once a month and have never had to remove algae. This one is in the living room, the neighbours always assume I spend hours on it but I really don't.
Cool good advice! I'll make sure I split it regularly.

Have you ever tried growing Pearl Weed? Its classed as a medium category plant but seen MD Fishtanks using it in abundance, just got a pot today and going to try and get it to convert to submersed form in a jar and if that works start using it in my tanks.

Cool good advice! I'll make sure I split it regularly.

Have you ever tried growing Pearl Weed? Its classed as a medium category plant but seen MD Fishtanks using it in abundance, just got a pot today and going to try and get it to convert to submersed form in a jar and if that works start using it in my tanks.
Nope - I tried the dwarf version, Hemianthus callitrichoides, once but it was unsuccessful. Pretty much given up on trying to carpet in low light

Nope - I tried the dwarf version, Hemianthus callitrichoides, once but it was unsuccessful. Pretty much given up on trying to carpet in low light
This is more like a stem plant, looks like Rotala but a bit finer. I think it can also spread which I'm not against :)

Carpet plants in low light are dang near impossible. Pardon me if I already mentioned this, but you might try clover fern, Marsilea crenata. It takes several months to change to its submerged form, but it's the only carpet plant I've ever had that acted like a carpet plant.

The hygrophila cuttings are taking. Now thinned the middle section a lot more. Still get the odd floater but just chucking them so Billy the bulldozer bristlenose can feel his efforts aren't completely in vain. The ambulia hasn't shrunk, I have been nicking cuttings for the two little tanks. Also removed the worst affected leaves from the anubias.
PXL_20230214_184318597.jpg

Almost forgot - I dropped a few frogbit leaves on the surface around 10 days ago - here we go again:rofl:

The hygrophila cuttings are taking. Now thinned the middle section a lot more. Still get the odd floater but just chucking them so Billy the bulldozer bristlenose can feel his efforts aren't completely in vain. The ambulia hasn't shrunk, I have been nicking cuttings for the two little tanks. Also removed the worst affected leaves from the anubias.
View attachment 311360
Almost forgot - I dropped a few frogbit leaves on the surface around 10 days ago - here we go again:rofl:
Looking good mate😍

Fish seem to be still thriving by the look of the large number of Cardinals🙂 Always look good in a nicely planted tank 😍

Slowly slowly starting to fill in again. I'm still taking cuttings from the ambulia as I am growing an avenue along the back wall to hide the pipes. Probably not neccessary because the frogbit is on the march. At some stage I will remove the original plants (ambulia that is) cos the new ones are much brighter green. I'm still regularly thinning the hygrophila as the new growth comes through.
PXL_20230226_193450058.jpg

SMG_6955.jpg

No special reason. Charged the bat on the SLR so I am able to get proper white balance rather than the overly blue rendition the phone insists on.
It also shows how much the ambulia has grown in 6 days when I haven't lopped their tops off :)

One week on and although it doesn't look like it has grown a lot the hygrophila and limnophila sessiliflora had a good prune on Monday (2 days after the previous pic).
SMG_6958.jpg

I have recently been admiring some of the blackwater tanks on here. Today while clearing space in the kitchen cupboard I came across an old box of rooibos tea - so 2 bags went into the filter with the water change ;). Actually I am going to stop with the weekly Seachem comprehensive. Usually I only use it once or twice a month but to encourage the frogbit to grow I have been dosing weekly lately. The frogbit has now spread to about 15% of the surface and hopefully if I reduce the nutrients it will encourage the roots to venture downwards in search of them. Also hopefully it will stop the rest of the tank from turning into an uncontrolled jungle.

Took the same pic tonight to see if I could tell in the pics how much the colour has changed with the extra tannins. I can't with just the tank lights but I did find it interesting to see just how much the ambulia grows in 24 hours (hint: use the spray bar as a reference point)
SMG_6960.jpg

And another 5 days have passed. Ambulia has gone a bit ballistic and there is loads of it lying on the surface now. Cutting time again. I have nicked a handful of frogbit to start covering the surface of the Thai tank again. That's now across 30% of this tank. Definitely time to cut back on the ferts. Think I will skip them altogether tomorrow
SMG_6961.jpg

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Back