Back to black

FishForums.net Pet of the Month
🐶 POTM Poll is Open! 🦎 Click here to Vote! 🐰
Looking good Sean. Are you missing the frobit? I thinned my water sprite out yesterday just a little and the difference in light in the tank was massive.

I bet you could certainly tell the difference when you took the frogbit out
I've got used to it. I had to turn my lights down from 100% to 60%. Otherwise I start getting hair algae on the Anubias leaves. I also don't mind the duckweed now. Still haven't managed to eradicate it but without the frogbit for it to stick to I can just swoosh a net through the tank before water change and only ever have a few stragglers.

Added a few sprigs of Limnophila sessiliflora (ambulia) less than a week ago. Can't belive how much they have grown.
I actually put them in here to grow out for the Thai tank as the h.corymbosa in there has gone jungle and is really too big for that tank. Probably give it a week or two and move them - but may be tempted to leave one or two bits in here
20210321_210026.jpg

Looks great! Love limnophilla really good looking plant and grows really well

I can never keep the stuff planted so concede to it floating ?

Long overdue update. I have been religiously following my almost zero maintenance routine and doing pretty much nothing but water changes. It went totally jungle so last weekend I ripped out all the vals (they'll be back) and most of the hygrophila, which covered the entire left side. I left the clump in the middle to ensure the cuttings are growing before I clear that area. Also took out most of the ambulia - what you see is around 10 days growth from the cuttings I replanted. The anubias is massive now and unsurprisingly has a fair bit of algae, but not enough to bother me or the fish. And my 2 crypts have turned into 12. Stock is largely unchanged - I mentioned elsewhere that I lost my glowlights to whirling disease a few years ago. I feel a little sorry for the 2 pencilfish that survived the attack of the sids in 2019 but they just keep going. But I do want to have it as a cardinal tank. Still lots of corys (Its around 40 cardinals and 30 corys) and you can see Billy the bulldozer bristlenose propping up the heater. He has recently taken to banging it against the side when he thinks I am a bit tardy about feeding time.

Good news is I haven't seen any duckweed for a week. Fingers crossed but to celebrate I ordered some frogbit today so I can get my canopy back. I'll grow it out in another tank (which is definitely duckweed free) and give this one another month. Hmmm maybe some more pencilfish once the canopy has established :whistle:

PXL_20230131_222057866.jpg

Yeah looking amazing! Love the anubias on the wood what kind is it? And do you know how old it is? I want a lot of anubias in a tank soon but want to work out my expectations haha!

Yeah looking amazing! Love the anubias on the wood what kind is it? And do you know how old it is? I want a lot of anubias in a tank soon but want to work out my expectations haha!
I'm going to guess at nana. When I redid the tank 3 1/2 years ago I used to divide it regularly and glue the new bits to an empty spot on the wood, its actually lots of plants rather than one big one. It does grow much faster when newly cut. Be warned this is a super low light tank and there is some healthy BBA on some of the leaves. Never bothered trying to clean them because it is quite a low level and there is no BBA anywhere else in the tank. As you can see on the spray bar and HOB there is some algae in the tank but not enough that I have ever needed to do anything about it. Been really lucky with the balance in this tank, I probably only wipe the glass once a month and have never had to remove algae. This one is in the living room, the neighbours always assume I spend hours on it but I really don't.

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Back