Back Siphoning On Pressurised Co2 Systems

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

Waterloo Kid

Fish Addict
Reaction score
I set up my JBL system last night and ran it for a few hours. I switched off the solenoid at about 9pm and by 8am this morning water had been drawn all the way up to the one way valve, which filled with water. Is this a typical thing to happen on pressurised systems? I assume it's due to the CO2 dissolving into the water from the tubing forming a vacuum which draws the water in.

I think I'll be moving my one way valve much closer to the diffuser!

WK

Never had a problem with mine! but my non return valve is about 2 inch from diffusor!

Yeh I get that and you're right the pressure slowly goes in the tubing and sucks water back up the pipe and yes move the stop valve, that what its for!

Sam

I'm using the one that came with the JBL kit. It'll be moved this evening to as close to the difuser as possible. I might even stick a backup one on too if it's a common thing. Funny, it never happened with my DIY CO2 and the pressure vessel is in exactly the same place.

WK

I'm using the one that came with the JBL kit. It'll be moved this evening to as close to the difuser as possible. I might even stick a backup one on too if it's a common thing. Funny, it never happened with my DIY CO2 and the pressure vessel is in exactly the same place.

WK

Did you have a ladder diffuser? There wont be any pressure if you were, as the pressure just pushes the bubbles on the the ladder. Glass type diffusers have to build up pressure within the actually diffuser in order to force the CO2 through the ceramic plate, hence when you turn it off, this happens!

Sam

Most reactions

trending

Members online

Back