Back Once Again

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

garyspence84

Fish Addict
Reaction score
Hello all.... used to use this forum a couple of years ago, more or a reader than a commenter... but I've been signed back in again past few weeks, thought I'd say hello :)

Nice to see some names I knew before are still here... and lots and lots of new names!!

My current set up now is a rena 240ltr (4foot) with
4 juvi angels
1 red tail shark
1 royal (maybe) pleco
1 ram
4 silver tip tetra
10 (or so) cardinal tetra

My plans are to get rid of all the tetra as I know when the angels get a bit bigger they'll just eat them.

I'd like some sholing fish though... so any suggestions are absolutely welcome ;)

I'm thinking red eye tetras or rummy noses?? But still not sure.

thanks for reading

Welcome back to the forum.

Cardinal tetras should be ok with angels as these are bigger than the neon tetras which are usually the one that ends up as tasty snacks for angels :x

Am a big fan of rummies so I would vouch for these guys, I recently saw a nice shoal of them in a large tank at LFS and they were simply lovely to watch.

Though its the RTBS (am assuming its that species you are referring to) that worries me slightly, these tend to get aggressive as they grow and smaller species will not be entirely happy in company with this.

"Though normally sold as such this species is largely unsuitable for the general community aquarium. This does not mean to say it must be kept alone, rather that tankmates must be chosen with care. While small specimens tend to hide away much of the time they become increasingly territorial as they grow and can display particularly high levels of aggression towards similar-looking species."

"Other bottom-dwelling fishes including cichlids and most catfish are best avoided as they may too be picked on."

Quoted from - http://www.seriouslyfish.com/species/epalzeorhynchos-bicolor/

Ch4rlie said:
Welcome back to the forum.

Cardinal tetras should be ok with angels as these are bigger than the neon tetras which are usually the one that ends up as tasty snacks for angels :x

Am a big fan of rummies so I would vouch for these guys, I recently saw a nice shoal of them in a large tank at LFS and they were simply lovely to watch.

Though its the RTBS (am assuming its that species you are referring to) that worries me slightly, these tend to get aggressive as they grow and smaller species will not be entirely happy in company with this.

"Though normally sold as such this species is largely unsuitable for the general community aquarium. This does not mean to say it must be kept alone, rather that tankmates must be chosen with care. While small specimens tend to hide away much of the time they become increasingly territorial as they grow and can display particularly high levels of aggression towards similar-looking species."

"Other bottom-dwelling fishes including cichlids and most catfish are best avoided as they may too be picked on."

Quoted from - http://www.seriouslyfish.com/species/epalzeorhynchos-bicolor/
thanks for that my friend. And as it happens... The ram IS quite agro at the moment. He was a pair for about a year and a half till his mrs died a while ago... now he spends much of his time defending 1 corner of the tank. I might have to look into re homing him as well then.

cheers brother :)

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Back