Back again...

FishForums.net Pet of the Month
🐶 POTM Poll is Open! 🦎 Click here to Vote! 🐰

emeraldking

Staff member
Global Moderator ⚒️
Reaction score
Hi,

I'm already registered ever since 2016 overhere. But haven't been active on this forum for quite a while. So, just introducing myself again.
I'm Stan, 52 years old. I'm an aquarist ever since the 1970's. Kept several kinds of fish throughout the years but my specific focus has always been livebearers. Until this very day on, I'm keeping and breeding livebearers. And within the field of livebearers I'm specifically focussing on rare livebearers. Both fancy and wild strains.
I do participate several vivaristic events in Holland, Belgium and Germany for a reasonable number of years. I do write articles for our national society of livebearers. And nowadays also for a german and once for a french livebearer magazine. Further on, I do run my own website regarding rare livebearers. No commercial website but an informative one.
IMG_1052a.jpg

Welcome back to the forum! :hi:

Any chance of some pictures of your livebearers? I would love to see them! :)

Welcome to our forums. I hope you participate more often in our forums. With your background, we just might appoint you as "Livebearer guru." We run 3 contest here...Fish of the Month...Tank of the Month....and Pet of the month. Look for banners at the top of the forums announcing the contests. I hope you will participate in our contests.

You sound and look like a super interesting guy. Any marriage proposals lately? (just kidding)

But how do you keep all those tanks clean and keep track of what you are breeding? You must have some help! How do you manage the large broods livebearers tend to produce? Are you breeding for specific characteristics that can be identified when the fry are small or do you have wait till a couple hundred grow up to see what you've got? I would be interested in breeding but it seems like it takes so many tanks depending on the species just to keep all the different strains separate from each other. It's not like you can tattoo the fish or somehow mark them.

Welcome back to the forum. I look forward to seeing you around and all of your experience with live bearers!

Thank you all... :good:
Welcome back to the forum! :hi:

Any chance of some pictures of your livebearers? I would love to see them! :)
Thank you so much. I'll be posting some soon overhere.
Welcome to our forums. I hope you participate more often in our forums. With your background, we just might appoint you as "Livebearer guru." We run 3 contest here...Fish of the Month...Tank of the Month....and Pet of the month. Look for banners at the top of the forums announcing the contests. I hope you will participate in our contests.
Well, that's my intention to do participate a bit more. In some way, it just didn't happen to react on topics overhere after I've registered myself. Been too busy I guess... But I'm not gonna explode the forum with topics or replies so fast. I'm still focussing on my health issues. Currently still dealing with cancer and other health problems. Despite of my health I'm still trying to be as active as possible within the aquaristic field.
You sound and look like a super interesting guy. Any marriage proposals lately? (just kidding)

But how do you keep all those tanks clean and keep track of what you are breeding? You must have some help! How do you manage the large broods livebearers tend to produce? Are you breeding for specific characteristics that can be identified when the fry are small or do you have wait till a couple hundred grow up to see what you've got? I would be interested in breeding but it seems like it takes so many tanks depending on the species just to keep all the different strains separate from each other. It's not like you can tattoo the fish or somehow mark them.
Well, thank you! :)... Uhmmmm... no marriage proposals lately... :oops: Guess, I'm doing something wrong...

I manage all my tanks myself. Only when I'm absent, someone else will take care of those tanks and fish. It's a routine job. I'm not 24 hours a day busy with them. It's still practical and manageable. But I won't add new tanks because of my health situation.
Well, not all livebearers do have large broods to be honest. There are several kinds of livebearers that aren't that prolific. A large group of viviparous livebearers have smaller broods ( but newborn fry can be large in size). A reasonable number of ovoviviparous livebearers have larger broods. But superfetative livebearers don't have large broods either (in general).
I do breed specific species of livebearers. And yes, specific characteristics are for sure involved when it comes to my focus. I tend to sex young fish as young as possible. It's important to know how the ratio male/female in the offspring is. But there are ways to influence the sex ratio of the offspring.
All my tanks are labeled with the species that are in there. Certain tanks are combined with 2-3 different species. If a tank has a combined stocking, the different species should be having the same demands of conditions of waterparameters, impossible to crossbreed and compatible in behavior.

Welcome back to the forum. I look forward to seeing you around and all of your experience with live bearers!
Hi, thank you. I'll be posting something soon.

Welcome to the forum! You mentioned writing for a German magazine. Do you speak German?

That’s awesome! The only second language I know how to “speak” is America sign language. :)
Well, I do live close to the german border to be honest. And from both my parents sides, there's also german influences. I'm of mixed background. I've got dutch, indonesian, portuguese, french and german blood running through my veins.

Welcome, you sound like an interesting person to meet. I lived several years near Mannheim Germany when I was in the military. Always wanted to go back,

Welcome, you sound like an interesting person to meet. I lived several years near Mannheim Germany when I was in the military. Always wanted to go back,
Well, thank you...
There are still american military bases stationed in Germany. For many years ago an american unit called in at the international amateur soccer games in our region. They heard about it and wanted to join in. But normally a team should be listed many months before. But they just showed up. So, we had to change plans to let them join. And I´ve been a volunteer for many years within this organization. I always take care of 2 slovak soccer teams. I arrange their accomodation and take care of the game planning. The board asked me if I could also take care of the american military team. It took some effort but we´ve made it. They were a great team. Two of the american team were female. But they were much tougher than those guys, to be honest.
Well, if you ever get the chance to go back to Germany... go for it! Germany is a very beautiful country. But you´ve been there. So, you know what I mean...

I backpacked all around Germany and also Belgium, Luxembourg, France and England. I also had a ten speed bike and went for weekend rides around Germany. My unit also played soccer but our unit commander made us stop after several injuries.

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Back