Back after a long break....

Hairy_Trev

Mostly New Member
Reaction score
I just looked back at my activity, or general lack of it and found I'd not posted or commented or even logged on here for 4 years... did ya miss me?!!

While I'm not a particularly active person on any forum, I like to think that my twopenny worth on here inspires people with projects and I've found you lot to be knowledgable when I was seeking advice!

Those that can remember that far back will remember that I returned to the aquarium hobby about 8 years ago with my brother's old 70 litre Jewel tank, just stocking with common and simple species such as danios, barbs, swordtails etc. A chance find of a 200 litre Fluval Roma with a hole in it left me wombling it home, restoring it and renovating, becoming my pride and joy, despite the dim light levels!

People found my post about the renovation and my own custom made rock background to be impressive and asked how I'd done it... well... I've almost 100% decided that I'm going to transfer the occupants back into the 70 litre, and dismantle the 200, rebuilding it as a malawi tank.

Would people like to see the progress recorded to see the construction of the rock work for them to see how they could have a go themselves??

Wish me luck people!!!!

Trev

I just looked back at my activity, or general lack of it and found I'd not posted or commented or even logged on here for 4 years... did ya miss me?!!
nope :)
sorry, you shouldn't ask questions like that when there are naughty people on here :)

Welcome back and yes people would like to see the process involved and the end result of the rock background. :)

Although I'll do a more extensive explanation of the technique, Take a look at these photos taken during the rebuild... First was a test to see the general rear rock wall before concreting,
IMG_20211029_215716.jpg
followed by a test of the positioning of a couple of extra structures.
IMG_20211101_225227.jpg
These were further expanded as can be seen here,
IMG_20211114_210212.jpg
and I'm now working on taking it up higher to create more caves...
What do you think?

While I'm not a particularly active person on any forum, I like to think that my twopenny worth on here inspires people with projects and I've found you lot to be knowledgable when I was seeking advice!

Those that can remember that far back will remember that I returned to the aquarium hobby about 8 years ago with my brother's old 70 litre Jewel tank, just stocking with common and simple species such as danios, barbs, swordtails etc. A chance find of a 200 litre Fluval Roma with a hole in it left me wombling it home, restoring it and renovating, becoming my pride and joy, despite the dim light levels!

People found my post about the renovation and my own custom made rock background to be impressive and asked how I'd done it... well... I've almost 100% decided that I'm going to transfer the occupants back into the 70 litre, and dismantle the 200, rebuilding it as a malawi tank.

Would people like to see the progress recorded to see the construction of the rock work for them to see how they could have a go themselves??

Wish me luck people!!!!

Trev
Sure! Iā€™m a newbie & love learning new things.

Although I'll do a more extensive explanation of the technique, Take a look at these photos taken during the rebuild... First was a test to see the general rear rock wall before concreting,View attachment 147930 followed by a test of the positioning of a couple of extra structures. View attachment 147931These were further expanded as can be seen here, View attachment 147932and I'm now working on taking it up higher to create more caves...
What do you think?
What materials do you use? Is that a 3D background?
very cool!

Foreground looks like concrete pavers I saw at Loweā€™s. Liked them lots but had concerns re the weight on my stand. I was trying to make hides for my axotles

Foreground looks like concrete pavers I saw at Loweā€™s. Liked them lots but had concerns re the weight on my stand. I was trying to make hides for my axotles

Hi Jenny;
Sorry about the delay in responding to your comments and question...

These were quick photos taking during the rebuild which is now completed and a video of the process (low quiality filming I'm afraid) will be posted here...

To answer your question though, yes it's 3D and has very little weight to it. Made from Polystryrene sheeting (cost about Ā£8 in UK, $12 in america) cut to size and then painted with ready mixed builder's cement. I buy it in UK from a DIY store in a 2kg (4Lb) bag which costs me about Ā£3 ($4.50?)

The assembly is glued together using aquarium silicon sealant, a large tube costing about Ā£20 or $30. DO NOT BUY BATHROOM SILICON SEALANT FROM A DIY STORE - IT HAS ANTI-BACTERIAL ADDITIVES!

Awesome! They wanted a Kingā€™s Ransom for the 3D backgrounds Iā€™ve seen online. Starting at $500 for the less expensive models.

Awesome! They wanted a Kingā€™s Ransom for the 3D backgrounds Iā€™ve seen online. Starting at $500 for the less expensive models.

I agree... I was horrified when I saw a video of a guy in the states who paid that amount for a background... I'll accept that it DID look like good quality... but I make mine to my own design and ideas for around $50?

You really have the wheels spinning in my head. thanks! šŸ™šŸ»
Youā€™re ever so much more creative than me, but Iā€™m good at recognizing great ideas & stealing them!

Last edited:
You really have the wheels spinning in my head. thanks! šŸ™šŸ»
Youā€™re ever so much creative than me, but Iā€™m good at recognizing great ideas & stealing them
There's numerous ways online showing how to do it... the easiest way is the crazy paving look.. it's quick and simple but not quite as effective...

Last edited:
Thank you! I ordered 20 pds of slate on eBay. Due any day. Some saying itā€˜s best to stack & not use adhesives. Scares me. Afraid of slips that may injure my axotles. Their present caves are acrylic , a bit fake looking, but on the small side & Iā€˜m not seeing anything more suitable. Anxious to explore your alternative , although someone
E40EE6AD-A532-4689-9730-04B7E3E0219B.jpeg
here suggested a PVC frame that sounds really good.

Thank you! I ordered 20 pds of slate on eBay. Due any day. Some saying itā€˜s best to stack & not use adhesives. Scares me. Afraid of slips that may injure my axotles. Their present caves are acrylic , a bit fake looking, but on the small side & Iā€˜m not seeing anything more suitable. Anxious to explore your alternative

My brother used slate chippings in a tank instead of sand or gravel... but was spread across the bottom. You'll probably have all the weight focussed on small footprints which might cause stress in the glass.

My advice would be to have a go at making a 3D wall in my style... if it doens't work for you then it's not cost you much... The slate you've bought can still be used to make monolith like structures for extra cover, but I'd make sure they're anchored to be safe and not likely to topple....

Iā€™m definitely investigating your way! Donā€™t see how i missed it googling

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Back