Baby snails yet one parent ????😱

FishForums.net Pet of the Month
🐶 POTM Poll is Open! 🦎 Click here to Vote! 🐰

snailaquarium

Fish Herder
Reaction score
Hi,

So as a sort of random throwaway project just to see what would happen, I put into a 1.5ltr glass bottle a wire tree (not sure what the technical name is) but I ended up with something quite nice. See picture.

I added two snails of two different species of snail so that they can keep the algea off the glass and would not mate so that it would not over populate the bottle with snails. Well a couple of weeks ago I took out the ramshorn snail and put it into the drinks Dispenser aquarium. To my huge surprise this evening I found three tiny ramshorn snails and a little one. How is this possible?

Attachments

• DSC_1420.JPG
    DSC_1420.JPG
    177.7 KB · Views: 51
  • _20210727_190713.JPG
    _20210727_190713.JPG
    194.1 KB · Views: 57
Hi,

So as a sort of random throwaway project just to see what would happen, I put into a 1.5ltr glass bottle a wire tree (not sure what the technical name is) but I ended up with something quite nice. See picture.

I added two snails of two different species of snail so that they can keep the algea off the glass and would not mate so that it would not over populate the bottle with snails. Well a couple of weeks ago I took out the ramshorn snail and put it into the drinks Dispenser aquarium. To my huge surprise this evening I found three tiny ramshorn snails and a little one. How is this possible?
If that singular ramshorn snail had been in contact with another before you added it to the bottle, even once it was placed in there by itself it would be able to lay viable eggs. Another option is that the plant you placed in there had a clutch of eggs on it, so the babies hatched once it was placed in the bottle. Not sure which happened without a time frame.

Either the eggs were layed in the bottle, or transferred into the bottle from somewhere else.

(Or, possibly the plant had a few tiny ramshorn babies in it when you placed it in the bottle as well:) little hitchhikers

If that singular ramshorn snail had been in contact with another before you added it to the bottle, even once it was placed in there by itself it would be able to lay viable eggs. Another option is that the plant you placed in there had a clutch of eggs on it, so the babies hatched once it was placed in the bottle. Not sure which happened without a time frame.

Either the eggs were layed in the bottle, or transferred into the bottle from somewhere else.

(Or, possibly the plant had a few tiny ramshorn babies in it when you placed it in the bottle as well:) little hitchhikers
Pretty sure rams are able to reproduce asexually i started with one and she gave birth to like 200
Hi,

what is that plant alsp it looks so amazin g

Ramshorns are hermaphrodites, but must have a male and female to reproduce. MTS, pond snails, etc, can reproduce asexually
Oof… she mustve mated with a male before that…
Or just saw a male or somthing

Oof… she mustve mated with a male before that…
Or just saw a male or somthing
Yep. Same thing as livebearers, you buy one female guppy but even with no males in the tank, you get a bunch of fry because she already mated before you got her

Yep. Same thing as livebearers, you buy one female guppy but even with no males in the tank, you get a bunch of fry because she already mated before you got her
Yeahhhh
image.jpg
all these snails came from ONESNAIL…..
She is very beautiful though.. i put her in a mini fish bowl to live happily ever after

Well this isn't making a lot of sense, the snail was added ages ago, many months so I'd have expected the snail I can see now to be bigger.

Maybe its tank is tooo small

The bottle aquarium worked well with ramshorn snail from the start. I've made an assumption snail species cannot interbreed, does anyone here know if this is true or not?

The bottle aquarium worked well with ramshorn snail from the start. I've made an assumption snail species cannot interbreed, does anyone here know if this is true or not?
Pretty sure ramshorn strand can for example i have a brown one and a black one the baby will be brown and black or mixed and stuff. That is determined by genotypss

Pretty sure ramshorn strand can for example i have a brown one and a black one the baby will be brown and black or mixed and stuff. That is determined by genotypss

Well I don;t know what it was, it was a much smaller snail and black however as snail shapes go it was very similar to ramshorn ie wide but thin..

Well I don;t know what it was, it was a much smaller snail and black however as snail shapes go it was very similar to ramshorn ie wide but thin..
hmmmm
just let it grow i guess
some of the rams when they are babies are clear and microscopic lol

hmmmm
just let it grow i guess
some of the rams when they are babies are clear and microscopic lol

But the thing that doesnt make sense is that these snails have been in there for so many months, maybe even a year, and yet only just mated?

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Back