Baby Plec Advice

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

paulbr1

Fish Crazy
Reaction score
Hi, my plecs have had several lots of fry but this time (before I knew about them) I moved the Female to another tank which has left dad fanning the clutch as usual.

My question is about the newly hatched, they have been out for a few days but still have their egg sacks attached, how long does it usually take for them to drop off or does the mum usually remove this?

As I mentioned she is in another tank but I could put here back if needs be.

FYI - At the moment there are no other fish exept dad, fry and a few teenagers (5) from the last batch.

Cheers in advance.

Paul.

Hi, my plecs have had several lots of fry but this time (before I knew about them) I moved the Female to another tank which has left dad fanning the clutch as usual.

My question is about the newly hatched, they have been out for a few days but still have their egg sacks attached, how long does it usually take for them to drop off or does the mum usually remove this?

As I mentioned she is in another tank but I could put here back if needs be.

FYI - At the moment there are no other fish exept dad, fry and a few teenagers (5) from the last batch.

Cheers in advance.

Paul.

I have albino bristlenose plecos and it only took them a day or so to eat all of their egg sacs. The mom doesn't remove them. You have the same setup as I did with no other fish in the tank. You can safely put the mom back in the tank if she's unhappy on her own. My mom was a little confused about why there were all these little fish all of the sudden but she did them no harm and actually seemed afraid of them at times. The babies seem to know the papa, and sort of follow him around, swimming through his bristles at times and he seems to really enjoy that. (Talk about a KODAK moment!) :) But as they got bigger they stopped that.

Good luck with your babies! :D

THe little ones have been out since Saturday and still have the sacks today, will have to keep my eye on them!

The mum isn't on her own she has a couple of teenagers, an angel and four red eye tetras to contend with, I will be adding to this tank as it is 260L and quite understocked, cheers for the advice.

Paul.

Quick update, all are ok- all 63+ and counting we-hey, I would post pics but the tank looks very green as I dont want to aquash any babies while scraping - they are all over the place. :D

Paul.

Aren't pleco fry just the cutest :wub: i remember when i had my 1st lot, mum was very good, i would often see babies sitting on her and she didn't mind one bit

Hi - A few pointers...

If dad does his job right the fry wont be allowed to leave the cave until they are ready to find food (eg once their egg sack has been consumed)
If they still have their egg sacks and havent consumed them, they should still be kept safe by the dad as they are very vulnerable as they arn't very agile.

Generally the eggs will tank 6-7 days to hatch into "wigglers" and then another week for them to consume the eggs sack and start to colour up.

What are tehy spawning in? does it have just one entrance?
It can take a little while for the dad to get it right

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Members online

Back