Baby platy

FishForums.net Pet of the Month
🐶 POTM Poll is Open! 🦎 Click here to Vote! 🐰

Jean1984

Reaction score
Good day Guys,

Here is a picture of my baby platy. My female gave birth to two of them and I can see them once in a while If i really look in the tank. There s a little blur on the rock in the center of the photo. If you can zoom on the picture you ll see his or her eyes. Seem like I have 2 female sunburst wag platy and one male in my fish tank.

Basically my question is...How can i clean my gravel at the bottom in my aquarium with such tiny babies in it? I am too scared my gravel vaccum will suck them in..

Anyone had any baby platies in their aquarium can help me with any advices?
baby_platy.jpg

Use a (clean) nylon stocking over the end of your siphon.

Good day Guys,

Here is a picture of my baby platy. My female gave birth to two of them and I can see them once in a while If i really look in the tank. There s a little blur on the rock in the center of the photo. If you can zoom on the picture you ll see his or her eyes. Seem like I have 2 female sunburst wag platy and one male in my fish tank.

Basically my question is...How can i clean my gravel at the bottom in my aquarium with such tiny babies in it? I am too scared my gravel vaccum will suck them in..

View attachment 135071
get them in a breeder.
feed powder food, baby brine

Good day Guys,

View attachment 135071
Okay I have to deal with this all the time.

Here is what I do.

- Purchase a clear breeders box and put it in the main tank.
-Remove adults and put them in a holding container for the time it takes me to do this.
-Fish out the babies with a net and put them in the clear breeders tank.
-Put the adults back in.
-Feed everyone so they are happy.

I feed my babies crushed up flake food and they have done great with it.
To do water changes, this is what I do:

-Remove babies and put them in a cup of current tank water.
-Proceed with gravel vacuuming.
-Pour cup of water and babies back into the now clean breeders box.

Hope this helps!

Okay I have to deal with this all the time.

Here is what I do.

- Purchase a clear breeders box and put it in the main tank.
-Remove adults and put them in a holding container for the time it takes me to do this.
-Fish out the babies with a net and put them in the clear breeders tank.
-Put the adults back in.
-Feed everyone so they are happy.

I feed my babies crushed up flake food and they have done great with it.
To do water changes, this is what I do:

-Remove babies and put them in a cup of current tank water.
-Proceed with gravel vacuuming.
-Pour cup of water and babies back into the now clean breeders box.

Hope this helps!
Yes it did.

Thanks much. It is all new to me and I am loving it. Its greatly helping to be honest. Hopefully the babies will be ok until I get the breeder.

I put my baby rasboras in a breeder box. Worked great, and so much easier to spot them when they're in that little space. Sounds like that'll work for you! They're quick little suckers, I wouldn't stress too much about them getting eaten while you wait for the box to arrive. Adding more plants, however, will always increase the number of fry that make it to being full adults.

Yes it did.

Thanks much. It is all new to me and I am loving it. Its greatly helping to be honest. Hopefully the babies will be ok until I get the breeder.
They should be okay. They have a great sense of survival and as long as you have good hiding places they should be fine before you get your breeders box!

I am so glad I could help!

I put my baby rasboras in a breeder box. Worked great, and so much easier to spot them when they're in that little space. Sounds like that'll work for you! They're quick little suckers, I wouldn't stress too much about them getting eaten while you wait for the box to arrive. Adding more plants, however, will always increase the number of fry that make it to being full adults.
Thanks. As you can see it is my fish tank on my picture profile. I will go to petsmart today and buy more plants. My city is in lockdown because of covid for the month so hopefully they will have something.

They should be okay. They have a great sense of survival and as long as you have good hiding places they should be fine before you get your breeders box!

I am so glad I could help!
Thanks. Fingers cross if it wasn't of covid i could go to my pet store but my pet store is empty so amazon is my only reliable source. I crumb my food for the babies and even the adult is eating it which is good!

Thanks. As you can see it is my fish tank on my picture profile. I will go to petsmart today and buy more plants. My city is in lockdown because of covid for the month so hopefully they will have something.
You can almost always order easy live plants from aquarium co-op and ebay! Those are my go-to sources in the midst of this craziness.

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Back