The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

Aussie_Bristle

Fish Herder
Tank of the Month 🏆
Pet of the Month 🎖️
Reaction score
I got a little pepper Cory the other week from a pet shop, but he seems to sit at the top of the water for air. I found him exhausted and almost on his back yesterday arvo at the top, still slowly swimming around but you could see he was tired. I put him in a breeder box with some plants etc and he is doing really well now, had the whole little Cory tail wiggle going when he was eating his algae waffle and seems a lot happier.I’m thinking he maybe to small for the depth of the tank and is struggling to get up for air which is why he may sit at the top alot more maybe, main concern is being a shoaling fish that I am going to stress him out in the box alone? Any tips thay could help this little guy out?

Attachments

• 8A95320B-D918-4019-8DB4-4E735CAEC8F5.jpeg
    8A95320B-D918-4019-8DB4-4E735CAEC8F5.jpeg
    1.2 MB · Views: 88
Poor baby Cory. Let him get his strength up.

I know my poor bubba. I was so worried about our little Winnie when I was at work last night, I was messaging my daughter for check ups. Its funny because I have little bronze in there and they are thriving, this little guy just seems to not be as strong yet

Poor thing, it may help lowering the lights some, I see you have add plants that should help too. Good luck

Do you think I could put him in the shrimp tank until he strengthens up? I don’t like having him in the little breeder box tbh. It’s only about 24cm in depth which is around 10inches (shrimp tank)

Check your water quality and make sure it's perfect.
Increase aeration/ surface turbulence to maximise oxygen levels in the water.
Don't add chemicals to the tank.

Check your water quality and make sure it's perfect.
Increase aeration/ surface turbulence to maximise oxygen levels in the water.
Don't add chemicals to the tank.

All checked and are on point Colin. None of the other cory’s have a problem just this little guy unfortunately. I have put him back in the main tank again so he doesn’t get to stressed out and seems to be doing okay but might just put him in the box at night when I can’t monitor him

Here’s a picture of my little guy in the tank. He has actually done really well in there this arvo. Had a little feed with the other cory’s and has been getting around the tank. He has gone up once and sat at the surface for a little bit so I’m hoping that’s a good sign. I have turned the air filter on high so more aeration through the tank. Do you think I leave him in the main tank or put in in the breeder tank for the night?

Attachments

• 26BCBBBC-F706-4539-94C6-E519A2A7C3B5.jpeg
    26BCBBBC-F706-4539-94C6-E519A2A7C3B5.jpeg
    1.5 MB · Views: 94
Corydoras are nocturnal and spend the day sleeping and the night moving around the tank. If you move it in and out of the container, you will stress it more, especially if you do it at night when it would normally be swimming with its tank mates.

Make sure it gets plenty of frozen (but defrosted) food as well as dry foods so it can build up its strength.

Corydoras are nocturnal and spend the day sleeping and the night moving around the tank. If you move it in and out of the container, you will stress it more, especially if you do it at night when it would normally be swimming with its tank mates.

Make sure it gets plenty of frozen (but defrosted) food as well as dry foods so it can build up its strength.

Thanks Colin. I will check on him when I get home from work then. Fingers crossed

If this is the same tank you have Cal grit in then the calcium in the substrate and water can be stressing the corydora. Corys are soft water fish that live in water with low to no calcium. They are also a cooler water tropical fish. Cooler water will hold more dissolved oxygen as well. Cory can handle temps below 70 and do well in the lower range of tropical temps. If your temp is closer to 80 than it is 70 less oxygen and too warm for corydora. They are also very social so feel safer in large groups, dwarf species also tend to swim top and mid tank more so than other corey species. As such small fish especially if alone bigger fish will scare them.
So get more drop your temp if too high and the gh is too high from cal grit theyll stress.

I have 14 other cories in there and they thrive, 2 of which are the same size as this little guy and they are strong and healthy. Totally agree with you, In the wild yes Corydoras are soft water fish but due to the different conditions in captivity Corydoras are breed in stable hard and soft waters and are known to adapted to a wide range of water chemistry. Water’s have got to be on point at all times for there health though the same with all fish. My parameters are always on point and are never messed with, if I have a rare slight change in anything, I am on to it straight away and it’s doubt with. Since adding salt to my aquarium, I have noticed a huge change in really the whole tank. The fish are thriving more, their colours are amazing and their health is remarkable.

I have 14 other cories in there and they thrive, 2 of which are the same size as this little guy and they are strong and healthy. Totally agree with you, In the wild yes Corydoras are soft water fish but due to the different conditions in captivity Corydoras are breed in stable hard and soft waters and are known to adapted to a wide range of water chemistry. Water’s have got to be on point at all times for there health though the same with all fish. My parameters are always on point and are never messed with, if I have a rare slight change in anything, I am on to it straight away and it’s doubt with. Since adding salt to my aquarium, I have noticed a huge change in really the whole tank. The fish are thriving more, their colours are amazing and their health is remarkable.
Corydora are also sensitive to salt. Sorry you dont like the answers theyre all pretty established.
Cooler water contains more dissolved oxygen, corydora are a soft water fish, and are sensitive to salt. When soft water fish that have evolved over 1000's of years to live in soft water their bodies dont adapt over night. What happens is the calcium builds up in their organs which causes imbalances and stress which lead to disease and death. Same goes for salt as "scaleless" fish like coreys are more sensitive to salt.

Last edited:
Don’t be sorry, that’s what it’s all about on here. My water in general is soft 24ppm to be precise and a ph of 6.8 and sits pretty on 7.4 in my tanks. So with the calgrit and what the plants are absorbing I really don’t think it would spike it that high. I do it so I can have a slight more hardness for the fish I have and to help my snails shells. As with the salt I only quarter - half dose as I also have bristlenose’s too. I do it for general health and well-being if the fish are unwell etc so this is not all the time and was advised on here.

Last edited:
Just an update, our little Winnie just passed away. He had stopped eating and was really lethargic today, I did put him in the breeder box and tried to get him to eat which he ate a tiny bit of brineshrimp but nothing to get excited about. I knew he wouldn’t last the night but went sooner then I thought. He’s been my only Cory that I have had a problem with and it has devastated me.

Most reactions

trending

Members online

Back