Baby Mollies Question...

April FOTM Photo Contest Starts Now!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to enter! 🏆

luv4potter

Mostly New Member
Reaction score
We had our baby mollies about two weeks ago and my dad was looking at the tank and was counting them out. He said that there was less mollies then there was two weeks before. Is it possible that some of the baby mollies are eating their brothers and sisters like survival of the fittest?

Keep in mind all the baby mollies are in their own tank, and are NOT with any adult fish.

Thank you very much,
Faydra

Could be dead behind/under some decor.  Unless they are drastically different sizes, I'd doubt that they are eating each other, unless they died first.

Not sure if this is a dumb question or not, but what kind of filter do you have on the tank? Could they have gotten sucked into it?

A very strong possibility... depending on the filter.

And guess where the ended up?

In the filter!!! Thank you very very much for your help, I wouldn't have even thought about that possibility!!!

Best thing for fry is either have a sponge filter or have them in a breeding net which i used when i had mollies only because i didn't have other tanks for the fry.

oh poor little fish...

nice icon btw...tennant ftw

Its fairly common.

It's okay because we caught them just in time that they were saved :) We have a mini filter :)

AWWW thank you very much :) Yes Doctor Who is amazing :)

happened to me many times this lol, i had filter that drew the water upwards and flowed out like a waterfall, it was inside a casing where the heater was also housed, i use to take the filter out the housing to clean it and it would be full of fry lol.
another one was when i use to use gravel, my stones was bit bigger than normal gravel and they use to find their way down through the gravel, i use to spend hours removing the gravel bit by bit just to save even one fry. Til i leanred a trick to draw them out ;)

I turned to putting sand in my tanks, and running my tanks off big sponge filters with a big air pump.

The weak Fry naturally die out, some just aren't strong enough to live. The reason you don't find a body is these reasons,

the body is small and can be hidden easily by ornaments and such, also its tank mates even small fry can nibble at it.

Good Luck raising the rest of the fry!

fish.gif

good.gif

Most reactions

trending

Members online

Back