Baby Lambchop Rasbora

FishForums.net Pet of the Month
🐶 POTM Poll is Open! 🦎 Click here to Vote! 🐰

darrylzuk

Reaction score
I just sat down at my tank and noticed a tiny little fry swimming around near my driftwood!!! Now that I'm over the initial excitement I have a couple of general questions and some specific questions about what to do in order to give this little guy the best chance at surviving. I've witnessed a bunch of spawning behavior since I got them, but didn't really think any of the eggs would make it. Guess I was wrong. The tank is a 29g and it's pretty well planted. There's a school of panda corydoras and of course the rasboras, and a bunch of snails (slowly stocking a community tank up). Both HOB's already have pre-filter sponges.

1. I did a 20% water change yesterday and didn't see him. I did some rescaping as well, so maybe he was just hiding. He's approximately 3/8" (eyeballed through the glass) from head to tail, any idea how old he may be?
  2. At what size will he be safe from predation by the other rasboras (I imagine the corys aren't going to be an issue)? Should I isolate him in a breeding box? I've included a picture of the whole tank scape... are there enough hiding places to let it free swim?
  3. Do I need to feed him anything special, or will there be "food" for him in the tank already? I read some posts about making infusoria with dry leaves, but that it takes some time. Would the driftwood already in my take have produced anything?
  4. I have Sera Micron Nature, but it's a fine powder that floats at the surface. Bad idea to lure him to the surface for food? Is there a way to get it lower in the water column?
  5. As he gets bigger, what kinds of food do I need to have on hand, and when can I switch to the flakes/blood worms I feed the adults?
Video

Thanks so much!

Attachments

• 20200927_165018.jpg
    20200927_165018.jpg
    184.1 KB · Views: 159
  • 20200927_165023.jpg
    20200927_165023.jpg
    154.9 KB · Views: 162
  • 20200927_165015.jpg
    20200927_165015.jpg
    194 KB · Views: 168
  • 20200927_171510.jpg
    20200927_171510.jpg
    380.8 KB · Views: 177
Have a look at my post " First Food". Leave them there, just feed the other fish normally.

Hope that works

Hope that works

Perfect! Thanks.

Congratulations, I got excited the 1st time I saw a red eyed tetra fry to my 55 gallon tetra tank. Here a couple of pictures of some of the fry. If you look close in the 1st picture there at two of them next to each other waiting for me to feed them, I ground omega one flakes to dust and fed them that. Been hoping that my ember, neon or glow light tetra would have some fry. I let the red eye fry hide in the tank. They liked hiding in the floating hornwort. I ended up with 14 fry making it to adulthood. I gave them to my bother-in-law. I still have one that showed up several weeks later and is now an adult.

Attachments

• GEDC1222.JPG
    GEDC1222.JPG
    272.7 KB · Views: 152
  • GEDC1195.JPG
    GEDC1195.JPG
    268 KB · Views: 153
I'm seriously eyeing some lambchops...

Any advice ?

Unless this is about the food (per the below discussion). I don't think I did anything special. This is my first tank, and while I've had a koi pond for over 15 years, other than the basics, there's not much crossover and I feel very much like a newbie. They're pretty hardy fish from what I've read (I lost 1 out of 8). I've kept my tank at 77 degrees F (25 degrees C) and the pH hovering a little over 7. My water is very soft, and while I've added things like Wondershell and cuttlebone, i haven't been able to bring up the kH or GH much at all. I do a weekly ~20% water change, feed them flakes most days and frozen blood worms maybe twice a week. Let me know if you have any more questions!

@itiwhetu I fed the egg yolk per your post this morning and had a nice sized cloud in the tank. How often should I be doing the feedings, and for how long?

Last edited:
Unless this is about the food (per the below discussion). I don't think I did anything special. This is my first tank, and while I've had a koi pond for over 15 years, other than the basics, there's not much crossover and I feel very much like a newbie. They're pretty hardy fish from what I've read (I lost 1 out of 8). I've kept my tank at 77 degrees F (25 degrees C) and the pH hovering a little over 7. My water is very soft, and while I've added things like Wondershell and cuttlebone, i haven't been able to bring up the kH or GH much at all. I do a weekly ~20% water change, feed them flakes most days and frozen blood worms maybe twice a week. Let me know if you have any more questions!
Thanks; I am thinking my water is too hard and pH too high. That's okay, though...I shouldn't get more fish anyway!!!
Except there are those Ember tetras.....
Hmmnnn..... :whistle:

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Back